1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with E57 works then stops working

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Aveerainc, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

My 4 year old Meyer plow with E57 is acting up. Sometimes it will not come on at all (touch pad) and then after a while it will randomly come on (everything on the plow works) and then it will randomly quit again.

My guess is an electrical problem somewhere - any suggestions as to where to look first?

Thanks!
    Joe in NH

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I have no experience with the touchpad but it sounds like you have a bad connection or maybe a bad ground somewhere. Start working your way back through the harness and check all of the connections to make sure they're clean and tight. Try to find where they tapped in to get power for the controller.

3. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the help. First I'm going to replace the starter solenoid because at the 11th hour (literally) last night I damaged it trying to trouble shoot things. I suspect the solenoid is not properly grounded and perhaps the old one was on its way out. If this does not solve it then at least I deleted one possible gremlin from the list.

I found a HD starter solenoid made by Fisher (dealer around the corner from me) for $11. Can't go wrong there.

4. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I purchased the new solenoid starter made by Trombetta and installed it this afternoon. The touch pad lights up BUT displays the red light (circuit overload) as soon as a button other than the down button is touched on the touch pad.

The Trombetta has 4 poles whereas the Meyer unit had only three. Could it be that the 2nd small pole which is not being used have anything to do with it?

I went from bad to worse...any suggestions?

5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Usually that 2nd small terminal needs to be grounded. On a solenoid with only one small terminal it's grounded internally. Here's the Fisher manual with a wiring diagram... http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/6395_000392.pdf

6. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

04sd you are right on the money! As you were typing this I grounded the 2nd small pole to the battery and everything works fine! What a relief!

I spent the week putting in a new radiator, water pump and tsat on my Jeep (Wrangler) and got everything back together yesterday during the storm here in NH. Went to plow my 700' driveway and the plow died. Had to use the snowblower and it was not fun!

Thanks again for the suggestions and help. Saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

Joe