1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with E-60 unit!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 20, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

well the unit was working great an thank god it didnt break while i was out plowing . i had the blade lifted up an drove over to a friends place . when i was there i let the plow down an when i went to lift back up unit wouldn't go up.so i got out an checked it out an couldn't believe what i was seeing the whole top of the cylinder housing was cracked. its the metal plate on the very top that has like 4 bolts an my cylinder going thru it . is this problem common with the meyers an does anyone know what has caused this to happen.if anyone knows please let me know what caused this an how easy is it to fix . thanks george
  2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

That's not one I've ever seen in person, and I don't remember reading about it here before (been hanging around since November of 01), either. Did you do a search?

Obviously you've got to replace that part and it would probably be the time to go through the whole unit.

Did you have the unit overly hot and then did it sit in really cold conditions? I could see that contributing to a crack like that, although I'll admit I reaching a bit to come up with that explanation...

Somebody else will have to comment on how hard it'll be to fix. I've never had to do that part.
  3. baddboygeorge

digger the unit was in the same temp. no temp change at all . an when the top split it split like a v shape i have never seen this on any unit i have had . the way its cracked it looks as if the cylinder tried to push itself out of the unit . i dont know if that is possible or not any help would be a bigg help thanks george
  4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We did it!:D I mean we've done it. More than likely it happened in transport. At some time recently, you must have driven where the plow bounced dramatically. It either cracked at that time and got progressively worse or it happened all at once. You can order that part no problem. Don't forget to get the 3 plastic thread screws. Since you are going to have to pull the top off anyway. Also clean out the unit with some Kerosene. Just squirt in and dump out. There is proably some grime in the bottom. Go ahead and replace the bottom seal in the very bottom where the cylinder sets. This will make sure the unit seals and the shaft will go up. Good luck.
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I had that happen before & its now a part I have in in my spares inventory, in case it may happen again. Ditto Highpoint's comments. Probably happened on the way to your friend's place. I was doing about 35 on a 6 lane highway that we were all luckily slowing down for a red light coming up. I hit a bad pot hole, and suddenly I was plowing that highway which had no snow on it :rolleyes: Got out & found the same cracked lid, nursed it to the gas station parking lot at the next intersection, jacked the plow up & went home to put a spare power pack on. Never heard of or saw that before or since, so I'm glad to hear it does happen to others, and especially to hear it happened not during a storm. That time I was actually on my way to sub about 100 miles south of here because that area got 10" of snow and we were done working with our 2". So I was glad it happened close to home & not while flying down the highway far away.
  6. baddboygeorge

thanks so much guys for your help , i really appreciate it . i am gonna get the new parts tommorrow an get the new seals that i need . what else should i get when i have this unit apart an when i fill it back up with new fluid how much will the unit hold . thanks again for all the support thanks so much georgel
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Read Chuck Smith's post in the current E-47 thread. You'll want to flush the hoses & cylinders to change their oil also, before putting it all back together. Clean the filters etc. & look for any worn parts & replace those as needed. While you're getting the parts, get the Service Manual for that unit & you will have all of the details you need. They're usually around $5.00. If you have 10" Cylinders you will need 60oz. to refill, if you have 12" cylinders you will use 63oz. to refill. Good luck.