1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Dodge engine problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigmac1276, Jan 4, 2009.

1. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 5.9 and the damn thing started giving me problems. When ever it is under a load, going up a hill normally about 45-55mph, it will feel like it is missing and start spark knocking a little. The other day I was doing about 75mph on the highway and it started stumbling like the exhaust was clogged or misfiring. I had to get off the highway and as I was I took the overdrive off and the piece ran fine. I have had it in the shop 3 times. They have changed plug wires, plugs, checked the plenum(with wd40), checked the cat, and other ignition and we can't figure it out. I just want the damn thing to get me through the season.

2. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

check engine light on? check the egr system for proper operation. i have also seen some of those throttle bodys suck the gasket in. pull the airbox off the throttle body open the butterfly and look down inside to see if the gasket has sucked in. also common for cam/crank sensor issues.

3. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

Check engine light is not on. It did come on when I had to pull off the highway and it read a misfire in 1 and 7 cylinder. Supposedly this truck does not have an egr system.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Check the back pressure upstream of your cat(s). I had the cat on my 99' Dak 5.9 plug up at 42k. Same kind of symptoms.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't understand this part. What do you mean you took the overdrive off? You shifted into neutral or just went into a lower gear?

6. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

it could be converter related. it was checked three times though??? bang on it, listen for rattling, notorious for the converters on these truck to break apart internally, but thats a whole different issue.
    as far as misfires go 1 & 7 are on the same bank recheck for vacuume leaks. still wouldnt rule out cam/crank sensors
    also did this shop do plugs cap or rotor? or just wires

7. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I hit the overdrive button on the shifter and turned it off. There is no cap and rotor it's coils. The more I drive it the more it feels like the cat could be clogged. I almost tempted to just cut it off, knock everything out and weld it back on.

Thanks for the help guys.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You'll need an o2 sim for the downstream sensor if you bypass the cat. Give Dan a buzz @ www.thefastman.com
    He's a pro at running dodges sans emmision systems.

9. Its your cat. I have the same problem with my Ford F-250
    The cat gets clogged and your engine gets too much back pressure.

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Somebody tell me then, how is turning the overdrive off solving the problem if the problem is that the cat is clogged?

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

its more then likely fuel ping, the 360 HATES cheap 87 octain fuel, i have to run 89 in mine or it will ping like a sum of a biatch. put some high grade gas in it and see if it still pings.

12. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

It doesn't matter what octane. I've been running 92 octane and it still will do it.

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The engine has less load when taken out of OD, it doesn't have to lug as hard to keep it's rotational force and it's overcomming the plugged cat.

The 360 used in dodge trucks from 94' through 03' (the last year it was offered IIRC) has a fairly low compression ratio of 8.4:1. It will run just fine on 85octane, it's not picky. (unless you have your timing way over advanced and have narrowed your dwell time too much.)

In fact running higher octane than required causes excess carbon fouling and can lead to issues causing spark knock or "pinging" as you will, pluged cats or worse yet valve clearance interferance. :cool:

14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I bet your Intake is leaking oil into the intake. Remove the air cleaner and look in the throttle body I bet you will see oil in there. If so you need the intake pan gasket replaced. It is very common on the these trucks. Turning the overdrive off changes it cause the engine vacuum level changes.

15. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

What dodge barrel manifold doesn't have a leaking plenum gasket right? :dizzy: That's another good possibility. I fixed that problem on my Dakota r/t by dropping in a Mopar M1 intake manifold. It lacks a plenum. :drinkup:

16. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I finally got around to working on my truck. I found out it had a small intake leak so I changed the intake and plenum gaskets. That didn't help with the problem. The next day I couldn't get the truck to start. After about 15 min. it finally started. I took it to another shop closer to work and had them put a cat on and change the cap and rotor. What do ya know. I think my problem is solved. The cap was charred up a little, and the cat was clogged a little. I think the combination of the three is what gave me the problem. Thanks for the help guys.

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would avoid that 1st shop at all costs now. Sounds like they are just parts replacers.

18. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

could be:
    1)clogged cat- mine had that
    2)leak in manifold gasket, sucking air & throwing things off
    3)timing a little off, or maybe
    4)O2 sensors bad

mine felt that way & it was a clogged catalytic converter