1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with controler

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fulltiltwill, Feb 2, 2008.

1. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I have an older conventional 8-2 V with the control box with the toggle switches. I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to a hand held controler like on the new RT3?
    Thanks for the help

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, as long as it has the 9 pin Molex style connector on the end of the control harness it'll plug right in.

If it doesn't you can make up a connector.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I just put a toggle switch controller in and took out the joystick. It just plugged in.
    Couldn't get used to the joystick since I have a Sno-Way with the toggles too.
    The Boss is on a back-up truck so it hardly gets used.

4. fulltiltwill

thanks

My controler is hard wired to the pump so I will need to make a connetor from the pump to inside the truck and then I can plug in the newer control.
    Thanks
    Adam

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you purchase a joystick or hand help controller it will have a 9 pin Molex connector on it already so if you want to just add the mating half of it to your harness, here's where I buy them:9 pin Molex

6. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Yea it will work my buddy has a older rt2 v blade with the old style controller and the last storm let him use my smart touch controller and worked great now he is looking for one on ebay.

7. fulltiltwill

So I could cut the wires to my controler in the cab (leaving 2' or so on the controler) then connect a 9 pin molex to the end and then plug in the new hand held. I would just need to have the wiring diagram to make the right connections. My next question would be, would the plow function like the newer plows were you can hit either two side buttons to swing the blade left to right and the two top buttons for scoop or would it still have to be done individualy? Are the scematics for those functions in the new controler or are they in the pump?
    Thanks for all the help
    Adam

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can just cut the harness down near the dash and add the Molex connector there.

You will need to add a ground wire in the #9 position in the connector though if your going to use the hand held Smart Touch style controller as the old rocker box controllers didn't need a ground, so there wont be one in the harness. If you need the pin out and color codes for the wiring I can send them to you via email.

All the newer plow features that your referring to are in the controller not in the valving, so if you upgrade to the hand held you will have the "scoop" and "Vee" positions without pressing multiple buttons one at a time.

9. fulltiltwill

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem Will, i'll get the wiring info to you asap...

Might be able to hook you up with a brand new Smart Touch 2 hand held controller still in the box also...

11. Rick-wy

Rick-wy Junior Member
    from Wyoming

After reading this I am going to install a Smart Touch 2 hand held controller- way easier than making my own controller. Can you Email me the wiring diagram?
    Rickd99@earthlink.net
    Thanks
    Rick

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not a problem Rick. Is your plow an RT2 or RT3?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I thought I'd go ahead and post the info here, that way if anybody else needs it it will be available. You can see the wiring side of it isn't a big deal, just follow the wire colors, inserting the correct color wire into the properly numbered pin in the connector once you crimp the terminals on the wires.

This image would be as your looking into the plug end side that the mating half of the connector would plug into from the controller, so keep that in mind when inserting the pins into the plastic connector housing, as once you insert them you can't remove them without a removal tool. So be sure to double check your work as your inserting the terminals.

You will need to add a ground wire when upgrading the controller. The ground would go into the # 9 pin (brown by the diagram). You can run the ground to anywhere nearby that would be a good grounding point but note: a good ground is very important for the Smart Touch controllers so make sure it's a good clean spot.

Attached Files:

14. Rick-wy

Rick-wy Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I am not sure- How can I tell the difference?
    I gather from reading the posts the R3 has a puck between the bllades- I have no puck and no obvious place to mount one- so I am guessing it is a R2.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Rick, the easy way to identify the RT2's from the RT3's is the lift cylinder.

Short double lift cylinders = RT2

Single long lift cylinder = RT3

Lots of other ways to identify them too but the lift cyl is the quickest and easiest to remember for guys.

16. Rick-wy

Rick-wy Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I have a long single lift cylinder , so I guess I have a RT3.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I should have added that if it's a conventional/mount chain lift style, it would be an RT1.

RT1 = Conventional mount (ie behind the bumper mount). Chain lift

RT2 = First design fully removable head gear. Twin short lift cylinders (no chain)

RT3 = Current design removable head gear. Single long lift cylinder.

18. Rick-wy

Rick-wy Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I have the RT1