1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with commercial snow accounts please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by UniqueTouch, Aug 25, 2015.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Hey guys i need some help. I am meeting with a contractor who does big building jobs but he doesnt want to do the snow and since i can never find out where to go to be able to bid on jobs he is giving me access to about 20 commercial jobs in my county, big ones. If you do seasonal price. Does that mean you get paid if it snows 50 times or not at all? And also if that is the case. Do you do instsallment payments? Please let me know any help is greatly appreciated, i have to get the insurance for 2 million coverage and need these questions answered before i pay 3000 for the insurance. Thanks guys really appreciate it. If anyone from nj and maybe wants to partner with me let me know.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, that's essentially how seasonal pricing works. It's a gamble for you as well as your client. Veterans of the business understand how to bid based upon historical weather data collection and from accurate record keeping from previous seasons.

3. UniqueTouch

plow

thanks for the held i appreciate it. Now i need to figure out how to price them

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just because it's seasonal,doesn't mean it's a good deal.figure out your pricing then compare it to their contract pricing.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You better be careful in NJ. There's a reason he doesn't want them. Take a look at some of the threads ramairfreak has posted lately about NJ and liability insurance.

6. grandview

When you had 100 claims against,your rates would be high too

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Try to get a multi year contract also, it helps ease the pain of a hard season...as long as you don't get back to back bad years that is

8. Lacymanagement

Lacymanagement Junior Member

Hey uniquetouch if you still are looking for some help this season PM me. I am about an hour north of you in NJ

9. UniqueTouch

legacy

okay sounds good. im meeting with him tomorrow to get the addresses of all the sites. will be in touch

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Seasonal can and should have caps
    All my commercial lots have limits you would be crazy not to have limits
    What company will says its one price usually low and I will cover you for everything possible from November till April
    Id like to see the company and if they are still in business

11. grandview

:waving::waving::waving:

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Its not really that complicated

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Grandvuew
    Commercial is different then residential

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Guess I was a bit late to the party.

15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Oh really?

Almost triple our average for 13-14, and double for 14-15. Guess what, none of our seasonals even came close to losing money.

You try to sell a capped seasonal here and you'll be laughed out of the offices.

16. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yes I agree to an extent your area is way different
    There are so many companies bidding each job they might as well use a national snow mgmt company so odds are you bid just high enough to make a small profit then when you go double or triple times over salt calcium and labor guess what you break even
    Oh then guess what there is a slip and fall even if not your fault your already super high insurance either jumps super high or they drop you but wait there's more salt is In a shortage so now instead of $90 a to. You are at $150 a ton
    Here they want and expect dry blacktop before and immediately after every storm they don't want to lose any parking spots and want it for free
    So in our area if you can do commerical work with no caps and make money not just a salery you are doing very well
    Most places don't even want a machine list to see if you are capable of doing the work because if you sign and can't they will just sue you till you are broke
    My old example is car insurance if you never use it you are fine use it once ok use it twice you wil get an increase use it three times odds are you wil be dropped
    Why they won't loose money but if they were too expensive you wouldn't have chosen them any way
    So normal winter you are fine
    Double winter probably break even
    Triple bad winter like last two year bet most lost money with out caps

17. grandview

And a dollar short.

18. Mark Oomkes

As always......

And way more than a dollar.

19. Mark Oomkes

I will never go without caps if possible.

20. grandview

I used to have a cap gun,does that count?

This is were your meeting with the person in charge is important both need to lay it out on the table.if it's not good for you then you need to walk.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015