1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with chevy codes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jakedaawg, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

2010 Chevy K2500 HD 6.0L Gas

Engine light on for a year or so.

Developed Idle speed misfire last week.

Read codes useing Actron scanner CP9580A

I come up with:

P0036
    P0054
    and one for the evap fuel sys that I already fixed.

The 36 and 54 say HTR Bank 1 sensor 2 and something about resistance.

What do I do next?

I used to be good at this stuff but that was back when we stuck a forked key in the connector and counted blinks of the light. Mid eighties, don't laugh I am old.

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Check the misfire counter.

2. If the majority of misfires are occurring on the bank 1 side, check the fuel trim values during the rough run.

3. If the values are high, disconnect the front O2 sensors and reset the fuel trim values using the scanner.
    The p0054 TRY
    Inspect the wire harness at the front axle near the transfer case for a short to ground.

2. Backprobe the Pink wire at bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM).

3. Check voltage with engine running.

4. Should have 13-14 V.

5. Swap bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor with bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor, road test.
    Get me a evap code and I will look it up for you, just e-mail me

4. Testdrive again. If the misfires continue on the same bank, check for a restricted exhaust or a problem with the catalytic converter

4. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Thanks To Buy. I guess Ill have to learn how to use this scanner a little better, or a lot better.

I take it "fuel trim" values are something I will also find on the scanner.

"Inspect the wire harness at the front axle near the transfer case for a short to ground."---being that the transfer case and front axel are not close to each other I will assume you mean front diff but I will look in all areas for wire harness shorts to ground.

I did have a badly misshapen exhaust while the mis-fires were occurring. Typical chevy with exhaust falling off hangers and getting bent up. These have been straightened out with the porta-power and exhaust is back on the hangers but it has not been test driven. I will tackle that as well.

As far as Points one and two, what are "High Values"?

5. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you clear the old codes after you fixed the first problem? They don't clear on their own.

6. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Okay, here is what I have done to date:

Isolated and checked for shorts to ground the wire harnesses leading to all O2 sensors. Some of these may have been HO2 sensors but I am not sure. They were in the exhaust pipe. Found all wire to be intact with full integrity.

Straightend kinks out of exhaust as best I could.

Rechecked the work on the Fuel tank vent solenoid that was performed last year. All seems good but still pulling the evap code. I do have difficulty getting it to take gas at the pump from time to time so I will be changing that solenoid again with an AC Delco part as opposed to the aftermarket that I had installed.

I cleared all codes and test drove. The miss seems to be gone for now. The Check engine light came back on. It was the O2 sensor codes and the evap code again.

The O2 sensor only costs me $33 for a Denso from AC Delco as I get wholesale prices there. I am going to swap it out when I change the Evap solenoid.

I will be taking the truck to Traverse City this AM so I will have a longer test drive to see if it is still missing.

I am hopeing the miss was due to exhaust restrictions.

I can not figure out how to read fuel trim values with the scanner I have (Actron cp9580a). It only cost $300 so it might not be able to reset and read these things.