1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with changing fluids on 7'6" western plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ivans snow plow, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ivans snow plow

ivans snow plow Junior Member
    from chicago

Hi guys i need help with changing fluids on my plow i had it for 2 years and i have never changed it. I called couple service shops they told me about $120 to change it. You think is hard, because i have never did it, and if it worth it to have them change it for $120? i don't want to get stock in the middle of the night with frozen lines.
    please help thanks

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

its actually pretty easy. hook the plow up to the truck, lift it and block it so it stays up. Place it in float and push down on the ram. Shorten the chain so it stays in the air and remove the blocks. I use a jack so I just have to let the jack down. With the ram collapsed and the blade in the air. Drain the pump housing (drain plug on bottom of pump) unhook the hoses from the side of the pump and place the ends in a bucket. move the blade back and forth a few times to get all the old fluid out of the lines and into the bucket.

move the blade either left or right to the stop. place the hose for the collapsed angle ram into the fluid bottle and move the blade to the opposite stop. hook the lines back up and refil the pump housing to the proper level. angle it back and forth a few times (with the pump power) to get all the air out of the lines and check fluid level. Reset the chain lenght and your done.

3. ivans snow plow

ivans snow plow Junior Member
    from chicago

How many quarts does it take? And which brand you would recommend?

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

fluid type is a little bit of a loaded question. First check and see what it has in it. Some use the plow specific type fluid some use ATF. Me personally I would use whatever is already in it. Mine has ATF.

Red = mostlikley ATF
    Blue = hydraulic fluid.....

As for amount..... 2-3 quarts.