1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1977/85scottspecial, Jul 21, 2003.

1. 1977/85scottspecial

1977/85scottspecial Member
    from Indiana

I have a 74 truck here with a dana 44 front and dana 60 rear end with 36" tires. Should I convert the back to disc? Should I put a bigger rotor on the front with a better caliper? LMk, what the best thing to do is and if you could give me the place and part #. Thanks, Alex

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do you have 5,6,or 8 bolt wheels ? If you have the 5 or 6 bolt wheels,you can upgrade the fronts to the 8 bolt setup,with bigger rotors and calipers.

Wrecking yard will have all the stuff you need if you can find a donor truck.

I'm sure you could also find a rear disc kit for a Dana 60.Are you sure it's a Dana 60 ? and not a corporate rear ?

3. 1977/85scottspecial

from Indiana

Yes, its a dana 60 rear end and they are both 8 bolts now. Do you know where I could get new parts? Front and rear? Thanks, Alex

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,if you've got the 8 bolt rims,you've got the big brakes on the front.

As for parts,use only brand name stuff,like Bendix,or Wagner.Carbon metallics are also a good option for front pads,for a little boost in stopping power.

Using metallic rear shoes will help,and you may be able to upgrade to larger wheel cylinders on the rear.The parts guy should be able to tell you what you can get.

Napa,Auto Zone,or any local jobber should be able to supply what you need.

5. 1977/85scottspecial

from Indiana

Ok, I will probably get the metallic shoes for the front. This will be a daily driver too so, what could I use for disc brakes on the rear?

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Since you probably find original equipment stuff you could bolt on from a wrecker,only way is aftermarket,which are big $$. Do a websearch,thereare kits available.

I'd upgrade the wheel cyls to the biggest available,and use metallic rear shoes,and the stockers will be just as good.Keep them serviced and adjusted for best performance.