1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with bleeding a fisher speedcaster full Hyrdo unit

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rob B, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Rob B

Rob B Junior Member

Hi guys, i just installed a fisher setup on a ford f350 i bought over the summertime. it goes left and right fast but goes up slow and once all the way up the cyl drops about two inches and holds. i changed the ram and checked the pump pressure which is about 1100psi. I also tried bleeding it by moving it left and right and tried bleeding it at the lift cyl.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Rob

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

wheres the fill??? or is it a tank on the side of the truck?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That unit is basically self bleeding. Sounds like the pump is old and tired, and the valve body has a leak for the lift piston. Pretty common problems on these older units.

Are you using ATF? If you rev the engine a bit does the blade go up faster?

4. Rob B

Rob B Junior Member

Pump is on top of motor, i have a 460 so its next to the alt.
    Yes I have been using ATF in all my trucks, is it ok?
    Pump has 1100 psi and I was told that was good
    Yes as with my other two trucks a little throttle and it goes faster

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

ATF is fine.

6. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

sounds like a very tired valve body, have the same issue in the truck im driving now, i just chain it up and drive. if ur transporting the plow it should be saftey chained to keep the plowing from bouncing on the cylender and breaking the valves

7. Rob B

Rob B Junior Member

Really, ok, well I guess I'll try bleeding it one more time and see what happens
    Thanks guys.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The only other issues I have seen with hydraulics would be wrong size hose, to small. Happened to one of our tow trucks awoke back. Two small of a hose and the wheel lift didn't work. Not sure if you changed it or not, buy maybe that could be something to check

9. Rob B

Rob B Junior Member

Well I bought the whole set up used and bought all new hoses, I had to get them at fleet pride because my local fisher dealer didn't have the right length . I will Check what I have to make sure
    Thanks.

10. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

did u replace all the hoses?

11. Rob B

Rob B Junior Member

Yeah, I figured I would change them all so I wouldn't have any issues plus a few of them needed to be longer to work on my truck.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

pull the lift ram and flip upside down and fill up with fluid . then re conect hose and flip back up and reinstall.

its much harder for air to get out of lift ram over the angle rams being down low.

try this and see what ya get. sounds like a big air bubble in the system.

13. Rob B

Rob B Junior Member

that sounds like an awesome plan. I will be working on it in the morning and will let you guys know how i make out.....You all have been very helpful...thanks