1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with bidding.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by NightOwl2011, Sep 12, 2011.

1. NightOwl2011

NightOwl2011 Junior Member
    from MN

A quick story. I am in MN. My uncle Bob (not real name for legal issues) owns a small landscape/snow removal business. He has been incarcerated. I don't want the family to suffer from his bad decisions so I am trying to help them out as much as possible.

Now, he has done all the bidding in the past for commercial snow removal. My family is looking to me to bid properties. I don't know how to do it. What I ended up doing was taking his log sheets from last year, looking at the time it took for them to do the property, calculated the sqft of the property and the price he charged per time. What I came up with was a price per sqft and an estimate of how much a truck can do in an hour.

I used Pictometry to get my measurements. Their tools are very accurate. What I came up with is a 1 ton truck with 8' plow can do approx. 26000 sqft per hour. It broke down to him charging $.004 per sqft per plowing 1-3 in. This also works out to be $104 per hour per truck. I have seen if the forums about having to charge more for some properties and less for others. I am going to be bidding on some larger properties that have a lot of their area as parking lots. I don't know if it will take longer or shorter time to do this. The properties last year were mostly banks. This year I am looking at adding some schools.

I know in the past he has charged extra to have a skid at the property for cleaning up curbs and stacking snow. But I don't know how to fit the skids into the equation. Since on most properties they will be pushing snow like a truck. Should I just figure out the price for a trucks to do the work and replace a truck with a skid without changing the cost?

Do you think that this pricing system is fairly accurate? Is their a rule of thumb for percentage increase with the snow fall tiers? 1-3in, 4-6in, 7-10in, 11+in.

I have 4 teams with a pickup and skid, plus 3 extra skids. Also, one loader that will be at a site permanently. So I have the equipment to handle some bigger jobs.

Any answers or suggestions will be appreciated. I have to kind of hurry with bidding since bids are due pretty much now.

Thanks,

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Can't u vist him in jail

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

And this is why every good business has to have a #2. The only comment I really have or feel like contributing is that I think your productivity is off a bit. 1 ton pickup w/ 8' straight blade should push a solid 40k sq. Ft. per hour. I can push a 60k sq ft lot in about 40 minutes w/ a blizzard 8611. Same lot takes a touch over an hour w/ an 8' fisher. 6 small islands and snow carried all to the end.
    Good luck with your effort. Sounds like you're atleast on the right track.

...and your uncle sure didn't do anyone any favors by setting things up before he left did he?

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree 26000sq' per hour with and 8' blade seems to low should be at least close to an acre an hour. Pricing per hour varies around the country not sure where your area falls. I think you may be slightly low based on some factors I personally know about the twin cities. Talk to the guys who have done the plowing to see how much longer heavy snow accumulations take and then calculate by that.