1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with a salter hitch mount.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xjoedirt55x, Dec 31, 2009.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Found this site just browsing the internet for a question I had.

I am trying to put a western salter on my truck, and it is the Pro Flo and uses the mounting bracket that slides into the two channels. I have all the brackets on the truck and all, but the hitch does not line up how it needs to. It needs to be widened. So I took the bolts out of the adjustment part on the hitch and can not get it to budge. I have been lubing the crap out of it, and we tried using a hydraulic ram to spread it with no luck. We used a torch and tried heating it up, and still nothing. We also beat it with a sledge hammer, but didn't do it too hard because we didn't want to dent the channel that the bracket slides into.

Anybody else have this problem, and how did you get the thing to spread? Any help is appreciated.
  2. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Some one is going to ask, so it might as well be me... Are you sure you got all the bolts out??? I'm not familiar with that salter, but pics might help... or loosen the brackets that the channels slide into. Something is bound up which you obviously know. I'm sure someone will be along with more info shortly. good luck.
  3. xjoedirt55x

Yes, I am sure all the bolts are out. Then channels are welded on and part of the unit. I am guessing that it being on a salter setup that it is just rusted in the position that it is in. I do not have pictures right now, but can get some later. Basically the width of the hitch is adjustable to two width's and I think there is just a lot of rust built up inside, and I can not get it to break loose.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

heat the larger tube cherry red and bang on it with a hammer on the 4 flat sides up and down the lenth of larger tube. let it cool a little and spray the heck out of it with wd-40 or same. it should SMOKE. tap a little more and try to knock it apart.
  5. xjoedirt55x

I will give that a shot tomorrow and see if that does the trick. I am thinking maybe set it up on its end and soak it over and over and hopefully the lube penetrates down in in between the two pieces.

Thanks again