1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with a rubber cutting edge on a pusher

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Skidoojunky, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Skidoojunky

Skidoojunky Junior Member

Hey guys, new to the site not new to the biz. I have been doing subcontractor work with my 3 cat 928g loaders for about 10yrs now and I decided to purchase a cat skid steer this winter to help with snow removal and my grading/seeding biz. I also purchased a generic 10' pusher box with a rubber cutting edge. I love the pusher on the skid! I am however having a problem keeping the cutting edge from creeping up and not making good contact with the pavement. When it does this it leaves an unacceptable amount of crumbs behind. I have tried everything to keep the cutting edge adjusted but nothing has worked. I am open for suggestions!

Thanks in advance guys!

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

rubber should be set 3/4 of inch below shoes....keeping the box level is important,...also be mindful of speed

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What type of payment your pushing against is also a factor. Uneven or nasty stuff will wear the edge faster
    Like said 3/4 below skies and keep it level

4. Skidoojunky

Thanks guys, my problem is not wear on the cutting edge but it keeps creeping up on me....literally sliding back up into the box, no matter how I try to tighten it in place it wants to move up on me

5. leolkfrm

have a pic of it from the front?

6. Skidoojunky

No I don't, here was my "fix" I drilled the holes in the box and the pinch strap out from 5/8" to 3/4" so I literally had to drive the bolts through the cutting edge with a rubber mallet. I also to some adhesive step tread and stuck it to the pinch strap with the gripping side facing the cutting edge. That way when I tightened the bolts the cutting edge is less likely to slide up. I don't know what else I can try??

Curious why you wanted to see pics?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes a pic is worth more then words. Not being mean but maybe we can see something you can't

8. leolkfrm

wanted to see how you have it bolted together....to try and help figure out why it is slipping,..

9. jbsparky

jbsparky Junior Member

the best way to fix this is to weld 1/4 inch square stock to the back side of the front piece of steel that holds the rubber edge against the pusher, this will allow the flat metal to grip into the rubber preventing it from moving. We had this issue only it was pulling down due to the friction.

10. Skidoojunky

Well, just got in from a little run, my "fix" corrected the problem. I did a bank parking lot and when I got done there wasn't even a crumb of snow left. Too bad it took me all winter to get it resolved! It will be done snowing this year now for sure! Lol!!