1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with a plow bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by sectlandscaping, Sep 27, 2009.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

Need help with a bid for a commercial lot. Its a shopping center. I have to meet the guy to go over the specifics. I just need to be in the right range.

One time and seasonal bids.

In my area snowfall is between 30" - 60"

fland.JPG

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$135 per acre/hour and 20lbs per K at $.20per lb

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

My thought's are Two trucks, 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a 1-4" storm 3 1/2 to 4hrs 4-7" can't tell on side walk needs I would say 2 shovelers or snowblowers 2 hrs to 3 hrs 1-5" 3 to 4 5" an up depending on if they have a curtain places whre you can only place pile's (That's just my 2 cents). Sdwks depends on pilers, main sdwk Sqft. are you respnsable for ice melting sdwk's?? are you sanding, salting, salt/ sand mix or Liquid ?? what's the sqft of lot, where are melt off hazards. then what ever your cost of Operation is and what you want to make on top with in reason to get the job!!

4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

2-3 hours with 2 trucks for 1-4 inchs ? i would say hour tops with two trucks plowing 1-4

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One truck should have that under control in a couple hours. Remember with those islands they will slow you down. All the snow will need to be pushed to the ends, and then carried to the sides. V plow is a must here, if you plan to use pickups

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to guess that lot is 55k sq ft. max. 6 hours-8 hours for the lot? you going to use a small toro snowblower for the whole lot?

7. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

one pickup with around a 9 foot v and your good, 1-1.5 hours max

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Whoever said "2 trucks 2.5-3hrs" all I can say is maybe if your back dragging the whole lot,lol

9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Hopefully taking 1.5, but billing per-time at "two trucks 2.5-3hrs".

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, normally I'd say that's worth a couple cases of beer, but I wouldn't want to sound unprofessional. :rolleyes: Or be a smart ass.

Hour, hour and a half max. One truck. 1-4"

Any longer and we'll be having words.

How can you give a seasonal bid with an average of 30-60"? FWIW, that isn't an average, that's a range of snow you get. An average is over many years. My average is 73 or 74", but the last 3 have all been over 100".

11. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

for one thats my opinion as he asked for opinion's two he have not givin a sqft of the lot, depends on where they will have you place your piles after you run out of room, with all the trees and shrubs there's not to much room to push piles way over the curb's,

12. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

Snowfall is between 30-100''. Its just on the low end lately. Part of the reason there's less competition for plowing then landscaping.

I can work with the numbers you guys provided. Ill add a hour for my inexperience. The one thing I still dont know is how much sand or salt to use.
    Ill just write it up as a per plow contract depending on depth, seems to be easier then guessing the weather. Do you require a deposit or a retainer in these cases?

The best I can do on the lot is the info provided by google. Parking lot 1 is 40,000 sq ft and 2 is 10,000 sq ft. Ill estimate 60k-75k sq ft. total. I have discuss the sidewalks and where to put the snow.

What advantages do I have with a v-plow? If I get this bid I'll add a plow to my other truck.

You guys have been more helpful then some of the post by newbies that I seen in searches.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

1500 lbs of material should be lots. They are telling you to use a Vee so you can move the snow faster to the west. You should not put snow on the islands because you will kill everything in there over time. It would take a lot longer with a straight blade to move the snow. A wing plow or a Vee blade would work best. A Vee with wings would be extremely fast. Just change more for better equipment.

14. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Looks like fun! no good place to put snow..I'm sure they will not appreciate blocking the view from passer by's on Flanders...I'm sure after a 4"-6" storm,piles could reach over 5"high...along Flanders.
    I would estimate 2hrs. though 1"-4". salt...is where it should be.

15. badabing1512

Alright as for salt, say the lot is 60,000sf, your looking at about 1200lbs of salt per application on average. Salt and sand mix is usually a waste but that my opinion from buffalo winter conditions.

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

All the numbers you come across on plow site WRITE them down and tape them to the wall.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Now it's between 30 and 100".

And there is LESS competition?

And you're adding an hour for your inexperience?

And you don't know what type of plow is most efficient?

I'm speechless. Sort of . :rolleyes:

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm not much of a sig fan, but might have to reconsider.

How's it look?? xysport

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, I was going to do that!!!!

20. badabing1512

Didnt see that you threw those numbers down earlier, we bid everything at 20lbs per 1000sf as well