1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with a bid please!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jjvvdd, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

This is my first rodeo. I have a best Western to bid at 117,000 sqft or 2.69 acres. Any ideas? Just pushing snow. No salt, no sidewalks. Typical parking lot. Per trip. I'm using an 11' four way plow on an International 466 turbo. Thanks.

2. RoystonLawn

RoystonLawn Member

1-2.99" $300
    3-5.99 " $375
    6-8.99" $425
    9-11.99" $500
    12+" $650

3. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

Thanks

I wonder if MI charges less due to more competition and frequent snowfalls? Those numbers seem light.

4. RoystonLawn

RoystonLawn Member

We receive about 50 in a season dec-march

5. RoystonLawn

RoystonLawn Member

Prices are pretty damn cheap here due to many low ballers having no insurance so prices are taking a beating. What were you thinking for price?

6. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

With no salt or sidewalks and just snow those prices aren't bad for my area either. We have a lot similar in size and ours look like this.

1-3.9" $350
    4-6.9" $425
    7-9.9" $550
    10+" $675

1in trigger with two trucks for us. It takes us close to 45min to do the lot on an average snowfall of 3-6".

Main thing is time on lot and how many times you will come back to clear the lot on larger snows.

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

How do you protect yourself with no salt/sidewalks on a commercial property like this? My contracts say not liable,indemnify,at own risk, limited liabilty, and probably 5 other catch phrases but no salt/sidealks still make me pretty nervous on open businesses, even when explicit about customers refusal. Just curious what some of the more experienced think. Thanks

8. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

I think it will take 5 hours and I'm guessing around $110 an hour. I really don't know what I'm doing.

9. RoystonLawn

RoystonLawn Member

$110 an hr seems pretty steep. We can only get about $75u an hr here in mi

10. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

Thanks Royston( and 95ram) you've been very helpful.

11. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

using an 11ft blade on a 3 acre lot you should be in and out of there in probably about 1.5 hrs max. Have you plowed before or no? even with curbs and such that will be nothing. And with that big of a truck and blade snow depth really isnt going to factor much into the equation. You will be sitting at about 1.5-2hrs max probably up to about 6" or so. With a pickup truck and an 8ft blade your talking about 3-4 hours for a 2-4" snow fall.

Around here a international and 10ft blade is getting about $75.00/hr. Id venture to say you could do something like $250-300/push up to 6" probably about $400-450/push up to 10" and anything over 10" is billed hourly, but $550 for a 3 acre lot is a bit high.

12. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Our lot includes sidewalks but no salt. Our salt is billed separately.

13. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

@ bristo, I haven't plowed anything. I imagine it will take me longer but I'm not charging them due to that. Thanks for info!

14. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

I decided to go $450 2-4", $675 4-6", $900 6-12" , since it wont matter how deep the snow is ( we rarely get over 6") I may resubmit a $450 per trip flat rate. This location is over an hour from my home and $350 is just not worth it to me.

15. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

You just hit the nail on the head and sunk it deep into the wood. You have to figure out what the price would be worth to you. Your time, fuel costs, repair costs. Everything is a factor. Those bigger trucks are expensive to repair and or replace. I personally charge $10/ blade foot. I have a blizzard 810. My driveways I dont due for less than $35/ push. My commercials I charge $100/ hour because I would have the plow at 10 feet. If I'm there for say 35 min or less its $75. I'm here to make money not loose my ass so you don't have to deal with the snow on your property. O and don't forget about your insurance costs which are going through thang dang roof.... Good luck to you. ussmileyflag

16. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

Thank you fire82!

17. bristolturf

ok well thats a big factor in the price, an account being over an hour away. just be careful with that. its tough enough to monitor all your sites in one 10 mile radius, especially when some are near the lake and others arent, let alone trying to monitor a site over an hour away. It would almost be maybe worth it, if you dont have other accoutns to worry about, rto look into bidding another account of two up there.

i would possibly resubmit your bid to them and just do a flat rate per push, somethng like $500-550 up to 8" or something, and then over 8" your billing them hourly.

18. jjvvdd

jjvvdd Junior Member

Makes sense Bristol, it is about 15 min away from the metro where I will pick up more but yes I do have potential to land others near there. I guess my next problem is figuring how much to take on? I am not interested in residential at all.

19. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

The key for you will be how soon all your other potential customers will want their lots cleared by and how much snow they want to accumulate before you come push. If you can time it out to where you can leave one lot and go to the next would be ideal. For larger snowfalls a back-up would be helpful to get started on lots you couldn't make it to till later. Sounds like time will be your greatest enemy depending on how many more accounts you pick up. Luckily for you the larger blade and truck will help for getting lots cleared.

20. bristolturf

well yeah i agree i wouldnt be interested in residential especially with a truck that size. i mean like ram said. It really all depends on the timing of the accounts you need to get done. For one truck, doing commercial i would recommend 3-5 at max (keeping in mind that they fall in the 1-2 hour range like the hotel does.) Then if you have one that doesnt open until later like 10 or 11 pick that up, but most will be about 7-830 at the latest id say. are you salting?