1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with 8' 2009 western pro.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 7_below, Nov 3, 2012.

1. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Just getting plow out of storage. Won't go up or left/right. Solenoid clicks when giving commands and head lights on plow go very dim.
    I replaced solenoid and cleaned connections.
    I don't have time to search threads as I'm at a storage facility and need to be out ASAP.
    Any help is appreciated. Please call or respond.
    Chad
    315-430-3469
    Thank you

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Sounds like a bad ground..

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Are you getting power through to the motor, do you have proper fluid in it, are all connections tight?

4. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Couldnt get it working and ran out of daylight. Ive cleaned the 2 connections at the plow motor. Ive cleaned the main ground from battery to truck frame the best i could. The bolt holding the ground wire to the frame is pretty rusted. I didnt have the proper file to get it real clean, so that may be an issue still.
    All connecters on plow and module and solenoid are tight. Plenty of fluid in plow. Im not sure how to check for power at the motor. Im guessing that i can take my meter (red and black ends) and touch them to the plow motor. What should the voltage be there?

Thanks

5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

Do you have a digital multi meter? If you do then put the negative on the negative battery post and the positive on the hot post on the motor. Have someone hit the switch and make sure you have at least 12 volts. The switch to measure resistance and check from the ground on the plow to the negative on the battery. It should be less than 5 ohms. If that all passes then you will have to check the motor for proper operation. You may want to just short chain it and go to a dealer for that part.

6. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Thanks. I have an analog meter that should work i think.

7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I've also read about people taking jumper cables to run test but dont understand how to do it. Is that safe and where does it hook up? Thanks

8. clark lawn

from NE ohio

Don't know that you can measure ohms on an analog meter.