1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with 6.5 diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevy$men, Aug 6, 2010.

1. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

i have a 1994 gmc 1 ton dump truck 6.5 engine turbo diesel i bought the truck from a landscape company and drove the truck home 3 hours it was fine now it starts up and run 4 one min and cut off now the battery keep getting low where i have to jump it everytime now the truck dont start now its just turn but want start whats wrong with this ****** thing:help::help::angry::angry:

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

sounds like injectors need to be cleaned.....

3. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

your generation of 6.5 has an electronically controlled injection pump. the control unit is mounted directly to the side of the IP. The IP is located in the "valley" of the engine, right up front. It's easy to see, look for the round thing about 5" across with 8 tubes connected to in a circle...

The control module is VERY sensitive to overheating. Typical symptoms are stalling when the engine is warm, hard starting or long crank and no start when hot. To check is this is the case with your IP and control unit, you can pour about 1/2 gallon of room temperature water over it slowly. If it starts after that, you're headed in the right direction.

Another quirk is starter cranking speed, oil pressure sensor & fuel pump (inside the frame, under driver's seat). If the starter doesn't crank fast enough, these engines are a PITA to start. Power to the fuel pump is supplied via the oil pressure sensor, which needs to read at least 4psi (if I remember correctly) before allowing power to flow to the fuel pump. If the FP isn't working, the IP is trying to suck fuel directly from the tank. his is hard on the IP.

Back to the starter, check the amperage draw while cranking...these engines are hard to crank and need a lots of juice, and the starter motor is somewhat small, so the tend to die out quickly. You say that the batteries are getting weaker & weaker...this can be the result of a starter motor on the way out that is drawing too many amps from the batteries. The starter is a PITA to get at, but with patience you can do it in the driveway without removing the right front wheel or inner fender. I know, I did mine once when it crapped out on me 100 miles from nowhere...they are pretty cheap and had a spare with me. There are 3 bolts on the starter, 2 long ones in the typical spot, and one smaller one on the front of the motor housing. Make sure you reinstall with all 3 bolts or the the engine block could eventually crack at the bolt holes...not fun...

I suggest you join DIESELPLACE.COM, they have a great forum on the 6.5

Once you get it running properly, you will love this engine ! Parts are cheap, it's not hard on fuel, gets decent power, nowhere near a DMAX, but it pulls nice.

Good luck !

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Sounds like PMD to me.....Easy to fix.... Check out You Tube

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Having done the PMD thing, it sounds like it other then the fact his batteries are draining.. but that could just be bad batteries/alternator or from cranking to much i suppose. Maybe to problems and not just one.. Get the battery / alternator tested might be worth while, to see if that's part of the cutting off or a whole other matter.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

X3......................Batts and or PMD.

7. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

now when i try to start it something leaks out the bottom by the oil filter but this is not oil something that look clear almost like gas ....man i dont kno **** about diesel