1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with 1st big commercial lot bid.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by A&MLawn&Snow, Oct 15, 2014.

1. A&MLawn&Snow

A&MLawn&Snow Junior Member

Hello! I've been doing residential driveways for years and this year I decided to step up my business a little more and take on commercial contracts. I have a few smaller lots and driveways and such but this lot is rather large and I could use some tips/pointers to give a reasonable estimate. This client also gave me two large residential accts. so I don't want him to feel like I'm running him dry. The picture is the lot and the large building in front of of French Rd. Not the parking lot that extends in the back. Total of 60 parking spaces and the back lot has 6 light posts that run down the center. HELP! Please and thanks.

-Matt

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 2.58.18 PM.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the size of the lot in sq ft? How many feet of sidewalk? Where is snow to be piled? Equipment?

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

" so I don't want him to feel like I'm running him dry "

what do you mean here ?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What you want to do to all your customers.payup

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

he won that lot.
    he feels bad taking proper compensation from a wealthy businessman , I guess.
    wait till he runs dry himself . tables turn quick .
    little ironic , someone mastered the forum with google earth picture , 1st post . hmmm.lol

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. grandview

By the way,that lot will go for less then 5k for the season.

7. A&MLawn&Snow

All snow can be pushed to the perimeter. Lot is approximately 33.7K sqft. No actual removal is needed (loader, dump, etc.) And no sidewalks. Just plowing in my superduty with 8.2ft v blade

And I guess you're right on the wealthy business owner comment. Oh well. Still somewhat new to the business world so gimme-a-break!:drinkup:

8. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

yep , sometimes you gotta get it wrong , to get it right .

9. A&MLawn&Snow

I was thinking $3800. Think that's a good price?

10. grandview

For Utica not bad.

11. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I see a building behind that one, you should try and get that also.
    Offer a little discount to both of them, if you get both of them give them a 5% off the season rate. 10% if you really want both of them.
    As for your price NY guys would know better.
    A place like that here in CT in my area, I would be charging roughly around $4,000 to $5,000 just based on the picture to give you an idea.

12. A&MLawn&Snow

I spoke to the gentleman about the building in the rear. It's the same office complex but for some reason they don't need the rear lot done for whatever reason. I offered him a 5% discount when I talked to him but he said he only needs the front lot.

Thank you everyone for your input. Very helpful!