1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with 05-06 Chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by z400, Mar 12, 2008.

1. z400

z400 Member

Hey everyone

Sort of got a problem on my hands.
    Well its not really in my hands but i would like to get it fixed.

My dad owns a 2005 or a 2006 Chevy 3500 crew cab dually, 2wd

Well i borrowed the truck 2 days ago to go pick up a bed, and upon asking him if i could borrow it, he told me that none of the Gauges are working. I was skeptical.

Soon after leaving town i stopped and checked the fuses because things got annoying.

NONE of the gauges are working.
    the back lights work just fine.
    Gauges light up just fine.
    they dont even twitch when you start the truck up

they've been inactive since last wednesday

just would like some ideas on what it could be.

i ended up stopping like i said when i left town to check the fuses,
    gave up soon after starting, checked maybe 5 fuses because of the lack of
    space to work in and the itty bitty fuse puller wasnt working out for me.

Stopped in the town i was picking the bed up in to check the fuses and checked about 10 more with no luck on finding anything blown.

Well any help is nice.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A total gage cluster inop is usually do to a low voltage condition at start up. Either from a loose battery cable (either end). Or a bad battery. The voltage has to be over a certain amount for the gages to "come alive" immediately after start up

Quick test:

Start by pulling and re installing the fuse in the under hood panel marked "IPC/DIC" (should have it)... then re start the truck. Do the gages now work? By doing this your resetting the cluster from the low voltage condition it saw.

If they still don't work then pull and reinstall the fuse again but do it with the truck running. If they now work then it's seeing a low voltage condition at start up due to on of the reasons I described previously.

There is a TSB on this very problem that involves a reflash of the set voltage for the cluster but it depends on the exact year of truck as to whether it would apply. You can call your local dealer.

BTW, Bad batteries or loose cables in a 2 or 3 year old GM product isn't at all uncommon so have them checked.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  3. z400

z400 Member

it does turn over kind of slow.

im going to take a trip out to his work possibly and do some looking around.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it turns over slow thats the first indication of a bad battery or poor cable connection, so that could definitely affect the gage operation.
  5. z400

z400 Member

Yea. i remember it turning over sort of slow.

i mean, not horribly slow.

but slow to where you notice it when your every day driver has good voltage and starts/turns over at the speed it should.

it was noticeable, never thought about it though.

im going to be going out to this work to look at in about 30 or so minutes

i'll post my results.
  6. z400

z400 Member

It worked.

pulled the fuse and replaced it with the engine off.

His ACdelco battery is going bad, The green light on the battery no longer lights up.

He told me this has been going on since he first bought the truck with 17k on the Odometer, the truck now has 50K on it, He was relieved when i told him i figured out what was wrong.

He'll be replacing the battery soon
  7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Take it to the dealer. There is a thing out from GM about the dashes going to pot. Check out www.dieselplace.com and do a search. You'll find tons of info on it.
  8. z400

z400 Member

Take it to the dealer?

the dash is fine, is the gauge cluster.

as far as i know its because of low voltage.
    the bettery isnt up to par, and will be getting replaced.

if it happends again. we will fix it. lol we dont need a dealership
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

William the problem your thinking of is with the individual gages when they stop working, common on the 03-05 trucks which is due to the stepper motors failing on each of the separate gages. Doesn't cause all the gages to stop working at the same time.

So this problem z400 had with the entire cluster not working isn't/wasn't the same issue. It's a low voltage issue. Different thing altogether, but also not that uncommon. :)

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Cluster gauges replaced

I have a 2003 Chev. 2500 HD. I just had my cluster panal replaced because the gauges were not working and the mileage indicator was not too. It would light up but not work. There was a service bulletin out on chev. trucks with this type of problem. It might be covered under G.M.
    Hope this helps you. Snowandiceman
  11. z400

z400 Member

yea everything is working fine, Odometer works fine.

theres just a low voltage cut off thing for the Gauges, if the voltage drops too far then they stop working.