1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Wiring Whelen Lightbar THANKS!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by lineman88, Nov 30, 2008.

1. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

Wanted to make sure I was doing this right - any advice greatly appreciated. I picked up Whelen Advantedge 4000 on Craigslist with mounting brackets (all for $100) for my Back Rack on my F-250. It has 4 Halogen Rotating lights with Amber lenses - all I need.

I was planning on running 8 Gauge wire off the battery with a 30 Amp inline fuse to a 12V 30 Amp relay. I would connect a small SPST switch on the dash to the relay and power the switch off a switched fuse box circuit so it will only power up if the truck is running.

Is this the right specs/setup? The power wire run will be about 25'. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

that shoudl be good, 4 rotators don;t pull that much....i think you're fine..

buy a good relay....not the .99 cent one

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

8 guage is prety heavy for that set up. 10 or even 12 Should do the trick. It doen not need to be any bigger then the wires coming off the bar.

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

normally, but after 25 feet of it...well...i wouldn't run 25' of the same gage wire...8-12..ok..but 25....no way

5. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

Yea, I thought with a 25 to 30 foot run in the F-250 - I should beef up the the wire and if I ever upgrade the Lightbar in the future, I'll have the heavier gauge in place. Thanks for the input.

6. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

that thing is going to draw around 16-20 amps i believe. (dont quote me on that) but going with that you should be fine with 10ga. from the bat to switch and 12ga from switch to bar.

and if you change to strobe or LED in the future. that same wireing will have no problem handleing it. b/c all the new whelen stuff uses 18ga wire.

7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the advantedge platform has lots of room for add ons

8. brad96z28

Thats what I thought.

9. brad96z28

30 ft U putting it on a trailer behind ur truck?

10. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Did you pick your bar up from that annoying guy from Woburn who floods craigslist with his ad's?

11. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

I avoided the Woburn guy... What's up with him? Does he ever sell any lightbars? They seem to be continually relisted on CL. I got mine from a guy in southeastern Mass where I live. There are also some decent deals in RI. I'll post some pics when its done - was a sweet deal.

I'm planning on running the power line from the battery (passenger side of engine) through the fire wall where the plow setup is located (driver's) side, under the carpet, behind the back seat and up the Back Rack - my rough measurements are about 22 feet. I guess the 8 ga. is overkill but what the heck!

12. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Better over than under when ut comes to that though.

13. brad96z28

Also most all toggle switches are rated at 30 amps. Not much need for a relay but thats up to u.

14. brad96z28

I will be wiring my new light bar this weekend I will see if my 20 ft roll of 10 gauge wire Is enough:redbounce. My bar wont draw the amps of the rotator But when I did have an old rotator I wired them with 10 gauge and the wires never ever got warm nor had problems. I remember when I had my car with 3 amps in it and ran 0 gauge welding cable :eek:

15. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Only the real good toggles are rated at 30A, not the radio shack variety. Personally, I wouldnt run more than a few amps through one, its just safer to put in that relay, not to mention you don't have to run the 8ga cable up under the dash.

16. brad96z28

Ya for sure,U will never ever find anything really good from radio shack or radio crap as I call it. And I would never run 8 ga to a toggle switch. I dont even think U can find female spades connectors in 8 ga not at anyparts stores Ive seen around here. If u need 8 gauge at an automotive toggle U better have a relay.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008