1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help wiring up my plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bizzo15, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Guys,

I just purchased a used unimount with all the wiring to go on my '91 K1500. I've downloaded the manual and the install looks pretty straightforward. I do have a couple questions regarding wiring though. First question is where are you guys running the control harness through the firewall? I'm assuming through the driver's side but are you guys using an existing hole or drilling a new one? My other question is in the manual when it gives the instructions for wiring up the light harness it talks about using "self stripping bullet receptacle connectors" which didn't come with the used wiring and I have no idea what they are. Do i need them? If so where can I get them? If not how should I tap into the existing headlight wiring? I don't want this to be a hack job so if i have to spend a couple bucks extra to make it a clean install I don't mind. Also '88-'98 guys how exactly are you routing your wiring through the engine bay?

Sorry for the lengthy post and all the questions but I just want to cover all my bases before I tear into my truck as it's my daily driver in the winter and can't afford any downtime.

P.S. There's a sticky on here for running dual batteries on chevy's but it seems to be for the '99+ crowd. Is there a listing of part #'s and what's needed to run dual batteries on a '88-'98?

Thanks again for any help.

2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have an '89 and I used a hole saw bit through the driver's side firewall like you mentioned. Figure out what size of a bit you need using a calipers around the biggest part of the harness your putting through. I used a rubber grommet, so I drilled to fit the grommet diameter. Make sure to inspect the inside before drilling so your not drilling into something. Drill a pilot hole first. You can silicone in later if you want.

Not sure what the self stripping bullet connectors are unless they mean the typical Scotch-lok type that fold over.

I ran my harness through a factory hole near the radiator support/headlight area, recessed the cable within the plastic grill, then came back to the battery through another factory hole for the radiator support.

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Here's a couple photos of my harness on an '89 running through firewall. The other is where I go through near the driver's side headlight to get between the radiator and the grill. There is a similar hole on the other side I come back through to battery. (Not that my way is the only way).

DSC03450.jpg

DSC03453 (Medium).JPG

4. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks for the pic, that looks like a good place to run the control harness through the firewall. Let me ask you this, did you just use a fuse tap on an existing fuse to power the plow controls? I'm thinking about using the power windows fuse since it's hot on acc and run, but not when the truck is off. That spot you ran the harness through what appears to be the radiator support did you need to drill a hole for that or did you snake it through an existing hole?

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yes, for the one wire with the required on/off with ignition I just used a 12v tester until I found a fuse that did the job. I used a tap on the 20A gauge fuse for me. I used a simple spade tape from Radio Shack. From reading these forums it sounds like you can get a fancier one with an inline fuse at auto stores, I think Buss brand.

On the radiator support hole. No those oversize holes were factory and I just snaked through.

Also, I had more harness length than I needed, so I just made a small loop on the drivers fenderwell and fastened to use up some length.

DSC03456.jpg

6. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Nice man, I appreciate the detail and pics, I think I'll wire the truck up tomorrow so when I go pick up the mount i need I can install that hook the plow up and be done with it. Do you remember what size hole saw you used for the firewall? From that first pic it looks like you're running a western plow, what size and style are you running, got any pics of the truck as a whole. I love these style chevy trucks especially when they are set up to work.

Thanks again for all the info.

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Your welcome. Yes, I hated drilling a hole through the firewall even an old truck. My manual states 1 1/8". If I remember, that was much larger than necessary. Use a caliper or tape measure and know exactly. Like I said, I used a grommet, which requires a larger hole to accommodate. Use a bi-metal hole saw bit rather than a giant drill bit. Maybe, I can give you a better idea looking at it tomorrow.

Red is the popular blade color but mine is a 7.5' Hiniker straight blade. Its been an excellent trouble free blade for me.

Here are some photos of with the blade on.

Copy of DSC02815.JPG

Copy of Copy of plowsite.jpg

DSC03363.jpg

8. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Here's the way the truck was 10 years ago after I had the body repainted, lift installed, and super swampers. Loved the look super swampers but they'll shake your truck apart after a while.

Copy of IMG.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

9. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

beautiful looking chevy you've got there. Nothing better than a clean lifted RCLB.