1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help wiring plow lights on 89 K2500.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KCPlowzer, Nov 5, 2010.

1. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

My lights have four wires (no plug),

Need ideas for wiring up the lights. I could do a temporary hard wire to the circuits. What circuits is there in use normally? (I'll post back up with the lights brand later)

low beam
    turn signal
    driving light?

I'll start testing out the wires tomo and figure which is which on the lights. Do guys just pull the plug off the back of the headlamp (mines the composite headlight) and just install male prong connectors into the plug? I would have to manually remove each circuit each time I wanted to switch from plow lights back to the composites. Could I just wire the lights into the circuits with a series jumper, then put a toggle on the ground?

Looked on ebay for a make specific plow wiring harness but I see none. Really need a affordable solution or a home grown one. Please toss out some ideas. Thanks forum
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I tapped in on my 89 next to the washer fluid tank, get a two way swich to mount in the cab run the main leads
    back to the switch and then run the two new sets of wires from the switch to your lights, one set for the truck lights and one set for the plow lights this is for the HEAD LIGHTS ONLY your park and turn light are a straght tap in
  3. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

Where do I tap into the headlamp wires? Since there's two headlights, I'm having a hard time imagining exactly how to do this. The plow light headlamps will wire in series? Thanks a ton for the help! :)
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Do a search on here with your truck and plow type and you should find a complete wiring diagram that will explain everthing you need to know
  5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

In the "old" days (when the plow harness' were universal) I never cut my plow lights into the truck's headlight wiring. I used an "ON-OFF-ON" toggle switch mounted in the dash. I wired the plow lights to the ignition fuse panel, with a relay. (like you would wire fog lights) . Flip the switch up for brights, down for dims. Run your truck with the lights in the park position so you had taillights. Turn the truck off and the plow lights would go off...nice in the days before "dummy chimes" . lol

Some of my early trucks lacked big charging systems...Nice thing,in larger parking lots I could turn of all my lights except the plow lights to give the charging system a little bit of a break.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

^That's good info, thanks. I might go back and rework the lights so I have the highs working. I might be using the highs, I used the red wire coming from the lights and am having a hard time getting the beam pointed low enough. Ha

I did basically the same thing. I just ran a wire from the battery to a on-off switch in the cab with 10 gauge wire and inline fuse. My driving and signal lights are tapped into the truck circuits. Reading this is tempting me to go wire the on-off-on switch and get the highs. With this setup I can turn off all truck lights and help the charging system like you said. But I have to turn the toggle off to shut off the lights.