1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help wiring curtis 3000 to chevy 2500

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by Chev2500, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

All I hooked up was the ground, pos, controller and light switch. I don't have anything working on it. I hooked the pos cable to the wiring box on the alternator cable, and the neg to the neg post on the battery. truck is lifted 6" and on 35's so I didn't bother wiring the headlight wires up. Am I missing anything? Thanks!

2. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

I am not going to be using the plow lights, only the truck lights. if someone could give me the basic what I NEED wired up to run that would be awesome. IDK if I need to cut the rubber boot off the plug, clean it up and just tape around it? Plow hasn't been used in two years according to prior owner.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

4. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

make sure your solenoid is grounded to metal or nothing will work

5. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

Did you hook up the black wire in the cab to the fuse box.

6. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

I didn't ground the solenoid... prob my problem LOL I bolted the ground to the neg battery post. Thanks guys! I'll give that a shot!!!

7. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

you want the ground wire at the batt. but make sure your solenoid is bolted to metal

8. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

Solenoid is bolted down, still no go. I jumped the posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver and the pump works, but even with the posts jumped it still wont work.

9. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

Does the solenoid click when you lift or angle the plow with the controller?Does the brown wire on the solenoid have power when you us the control?

10. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

orange wire on the harness grounded?

11. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

So correct me if I'm wrong, The wiring harness that I am trying to use was out of a dodge, but I figured it would still work just wouldn't't be able to use the lights... Now from what I am gathering just by checking things over, I need the lights plugged in because the controller takes a small amount of the juice from the lights and uses it to run the solenoid exc. because all I have hooked up is the main pos cable and the main ground... which there is no way for it to work unless it has power going to the controller from somewhere (which must be the headlights). I need new bulb adapters, or just find the power wires in the old ones and hard wire them in... correct???

12. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

all I have grounded is the main ground wire and the solenoid.

13. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

coming off of the harness you ran into the truck there shold be an orange and brown wire approximatly 16-18 gauge I would guess. the orange wire needs to go to ground and the brown wire goes to the solenoid. ( the little stud) check that and get back to us.

14. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

also you dont have to have the lights hooke up but there is a wire coming off where the headlight switch on the plow is that needs poer to run the controller. when all said and done you can get the headlight adaptors for your truck for 50 dollars or less and hook them up. also you should at least hook the blinkers and running lights up when you get the other wiring issue squared away.

15. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

I hooked the fused wire to the pos post on the battery... AND IT WORKED! Thanks guys for all the help. I wasn't even going to bother with the running ;lights of the turn sigs. the truck is lifted 6" and on 35's so I didn't think I'd need them. I should prob wire it to the running lights to keep from running the battery down when it's not running???

16. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

I would hook the running lights up on it just due to all the sue happy morans, who could run into you.

17. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

Will do. Can prob just tap into the orig running lights and wire up up. Thanks again guys... only talking 2" of snow tonight, but that beats no snow I guess :)

18. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Man, I wish you would have posted this earlier. I bought a plow from a Chevy and put it on my Dodge. Just last weekend threw away the headlight wiring harness for your truck. I would have given them to you but I didn't even think to look here before tossing them out.

Glad you got it working. I suggest hooking up the running lights too. Just in case.

Jay

19. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Hook that wire to your fuse block where it is only hot with the ignition on. That way when the truck is parked it will not be able to be operated.

20. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

I agree the fuse box with switched power.