1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need HELP Wiring 6' Meyer's to 88 Toyota 4x4

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pondguy22, Nov 9, 2008.

1. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I am a NEWBIE here looking for some wiring help. I have never been good with wiring, and plows are no exception! The plow is older with no verifiable #'s or words on it. The only thing that has any writing on it is the Electrotouch E-47 pump. I am guessing that it is a "power angle" model plow. I took it off of a 1987 Jeep Cherokee and have the harness from it. I want to wire it up to my 1988 Toyota 4x4 pickup to do some plowing on our farm. I am sure I could get it to work, but I want someone who knows what they are doing to lend me some good advice so I don't ruin the truck wiring and have working blinkers! The controller is the one with the three giant toggle switches on it; one for up/down, one for left/right, and one for the lights I think. I am thinking that I could just use most of the wiring I got from the Jeep, but I may be wrong, and I know it won't be the last time either!
    So, any generous GENIUS out there wants to help, I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks Fellas

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First we need to determine which style of plow lights you have as their have been several styles over the years and they do not all wire the same way.

Here's the manual for the old Trucklite style lights: Trucklite

Notice the color codes as well as the 6 terminal light switch and the fact that they're "hard wired" into the stock truck wiring without the use of any "plug and play" adapters. Does this match what you currently have?

3. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

The light switch does have a 6 wire hookup, but it is in a circle, not rectangular or like the other one. I can take a pic of it if that helps.

4. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I am going out right now to check the truck wiring for colors

5. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

Yes that matches what I have

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good deal, then that should be the correct diagram for the lights.

And here's the pump control wiring if you need it as well...

[​IMG]

7. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

Thanks.... this makes it all easier! I appreciate all your help!

8. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I have another question though. Can I use the jeep wire harness to wire everything? It has the right amount of wires, they are just a different color. Another thing is that the light switch has all the wire terminals in a circle. They are not in a rectangular shape like in the picture, so I imagine that if I put them in the wrong place ot won't work right? So, I don't have a clue as to what to do there

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the hard wired style lights that are connected directly into the truck wiring then you shouldn't have anything specific to a "Jeep"...so not sure what your referring to.

10. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I have a wiring harness for the plow that came from a Jeep Cherokee. I can't find a harness that fits my truck so I just planned on using the one from the jeep if I could, but it has different colored wires than what that diagram shows. The third switch on the controller, which is for the lights I believe, has all the terminals in a circle, not in a rectangle like in the diagram. So, can I use this harness, or do I go out and buy wire and start from scratch? Doing it from scratch isn't a big deal to me, it is the light switch terminals that are in a circle shape on my controller that is really throwing me off. I don't know why certain colored wires have to go to a certain terminal on the switch..... it's not like the switch is doing 5 different things, it is just an on off, so to me it seems like it wouldn't matter which color wire went where on that switch. Then again, I don't know squat about this.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It very much matters what wires you place where on the light switch terminals....they won't work if they're not in the correct terminals.

I think in your case you'd be much further ahead to simply purchase a set of aftermarket plow lights that will include all the necessary wiring and switch that will allow you to hardwire the lights into the truck. They can be bought new for $80..

12. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I know which wires go where on the switch because I wrote it down before I took it off the Jeep, I just don't know what colors were hooked up to what on the jeep's lights because I couldn't see any of it.... I just cut the wires. I guess if I could find a wiring diagram for that year Jeep, I would know what wires went where. I guess I have to do some research to find a diagram and maybe I will be in business.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you could lay the wiring out and get some overall and detailed pics of it I could possibly help you more but without knowing exactly what you have it's simply a shot in the dark at best.

Coming up with the Jeep color codes is no problem. That I can do...

14. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

The headlight switch should be double pole/double throw. I would bet the circle of terminals is still similar to the rectangle. The middle wires to the vehicle dimmer switch (one high beam/one low), One pair to vehicle high/low, the other pair to plow lights high/low. Grab a continuity tester and find out which terminal is which. Or if they have letters by them, let us know.

Color is not important as long as the right terminals are connected to the right loads.

An old Meyers is about the simplest thing to hook up.

15. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I will get some pics of it and post them tomorrow

16. pondguy22

pondguy22 Junior Member

I grabbed the controls and I was wrong....they are in a rectangle. It must have been the angle I saw it when I took it off the jeep; that and it was dusk and raining! Oh well. As far as the two plow controls, the wiring for them has plugs on the wires to plug right in to the controller.

I don't know how to put pics in here, so if you guys tell me how I will post them.,

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Email them to me and I'll post them for you..

Put "Meyer wiring pics" in the subject. :waving:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008