1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help- What truck to get?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mponcelet, Dec 20, 2012.

1. mponcelet

mponcelet Junior Member

So im just starting out and im looking for a truck with a plow to do some light plowing this season to start out and start with a decent sized 2 man operation next year. Heres my question. So ive been looking around for a while and here are the two trucks/ plows ive come along.

2001 Chevy 2500 hd 6.0 automatic tranny reg cab
    112,000 miles
    fresh brakes, fluids you name it
    New tires
    It is kinda beat up though. The back right has a dent in it and the rear bumper is rusted out.
    with an 8 1/2 foot Western Uni Mount plow in great condition
    $4,500

or a
    1990 Ford F 350 7.3 idi non turbo 5 speed manual
    220,000 miles
    alright tires
    great condition tho looks in great shape
    8 foot western uni mount plow
    $3,700 b/o

Im new to this all so should I go with a newer gas truck or is an older nicer shape diesel truck. Also how does the 5 speed play in? This would also be my daily driver throughout the year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The Chevy ..................and I'm a Ford guy.

3. Buck331

Buck331 Member

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

do you ever expect to do salting? the 2500 does not have the payload to carry a full load of salt and a plow.

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Neither. Both have been used as plow trucks. One in excess of ten years, the other in excess of 20. And if they're from MN (The rust belt) they're shot.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

....but half ton Dodges do?

7. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I was just reading here that all late 80's to some 00 chevy 2500 frames are susceptible to frame cracking in certain locations. The thread I read was regarding duramax trucks, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a possible issue with the gas jobs. I think it did have something to do with the duramax being maxed out in GVWR on that particular chassis though. Either way, worth looking into.

Also, BS makes a good point as far as salting goes.

8. mponcelet

mponcelet Junior Member

The Chevy has only had a plow in it for the last two seasons and I figure last year wasn't too rough on it

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Find a nice truck that was never used for plowing and buy that. And then find a slightly used plow on CL and you are good to go. Good Luck.

10. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Ford guy as well, but I think I would take the Chevy. The non turbo trucks are turds lol

11. Rainer

Rainer Member

The thread is here: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=81052 My 02 2500HD gasser came with gussets from the factory. Currently 250K miles on it, still plowing, no cracks. The HD frames were the same as the 1 ton frames.

Depends on what's considered a 'full load' of salt. That truck with that plow should be able to take at least 1/2 yard, if not more (not sure the weight of the plow). 9200 GVWR I believe.

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

This is the advice you should be taking.

13. mponcelet

mponcelet Junior Member

Why should I go for a truck that's never plowed. The only reason I would want one with a plow is because they are cheaper.

14. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Everyone know how most people plow, especially commercial guys. If a truck with a plow has 100k on the clock you can bet it has another 30k in reverse. That said I've had decent luck with used trucks with plows.

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

While I understand the logic behind saying a truck that has been plowed with is not a good buy, I would also say that's not always true. Some guys/gals take good care of their equipment because they count on it to be right when it's needed. A good inspection of a used truck as well as maintenance records etc. should tell you more than just basing an opinion on age or if it plowed. A truck with 80-90,000 Mi. on it is going to start requiring expensive repairs, whereas a truck with 150,000 Mi probably will have had many of those repairs done already. There's a reason warranty's only last 3-5 yrs. That's when stuff starts to go wrong. Just a different way to look at things.

16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I've bought 2 used trucks. Both older fords (92 and 93) F250 single cab long box. I don't salt or anything, I just plow. They work just fine, although I sub'd a few times this year, and I suggest getting an automatic. I'm by no means an expert, but even at age 19, using that clutch so many times in a day tends to suck lol, and I prefer manuals for almost everything.