1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help western plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by movingit, Dec 15, 2011.

1. movingit

movingit Junior Member

I bought a used plow an 8' pro that has been sitting for a few years.It will not do anything just click at the the solenoid I did the grounding test jumped with jumper cables to make sure I had a good ground.I am getting power across the solenoid and even to the brushes at the moter when I have some one move the controler. The Joy stick is brand new and even tryed an different solenoid.need help please

2. Army Vet

Army Vet Member

I would clean your connections with electric spray and look for ones that are corroded and replace as needed. Also clean the connectors at the plow and truck then give them a little die electric grease. I'd start with that and see if it works.

3. movingit

movingit Junior Member

i will do that i did do grease on the truck side and thought if i had power to the brushes on the moter that it would at least try to turn over,Maybe i do not have enough power

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

so the motor isnt working at all?? not make the horrible screech noise??

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Take jumper cables directly from your battery and put them on the motor, if the motor spins you have a different problem. If it doesn't spin the motor is bad or is stuck from sitting. If it doesn't spin take it off and see if you can clean it up good and see if that helps.

Is it an ultra pro or unimount pro?

6. movingit

movingit Junior Member

It is a unimount prow when I took the top off the motor it did look like it had Collected moisture from sitting tomorrow I will try the jumper cable to the motor any ideas how to best clean the motor that's what I'm thinking it is

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Take it off of the pump housing and pull the armature out. Once you have the motor off of the pump house there will be two 1/4 inch bolts that hold the mounting flange to the motor itself. Pull those two bolts and the armature should slide out. I would use a wire brush and some sort of electrical contact cleaner or something like that.

Once you have it clean put the mounting flange back on but before you put it back on the pump housing put jumper cables to the motor terminals and see if it works. This way you will know for sure if it is the motor. If it works and you put it back together and then it doesn't work you know it the pump is seized from sitting. I would bet it is just the motor.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I forgot to mention to make sure the brushes aren't stuck either. They will be in the top part of the motor. Right under neath the cap that has the 1/4 inch bolts in it.

Good luck!

9. dieselss

If the motor looks bad internally I would replace it. Better to be safe then sorry. Now don't get me wrong, you could probably fix it, but all the time to do so. And if you don't clean it all the way or bend or break a wire, then your FUBARED. JUST MY .02

10. movingit

movingit Junior Member

Thanks for all the helpful comments I will do a little more digging in to it before i replace the motor. the brushes are free when I checked to make sure they were getting power i pushed them back against thrie springs all 4 moved.If I do have to replace the motor where is a good plave to get one.I'm 100 miles from the nearest dealer so thats 200 miles to get one diesel is $4.09 a gallon and the powerstroke only gets around 15 mile a gallon this time of year.

11. dieselss

Look online should have some good deals if you just look around a bit.

12. movingit

movingit Junior Member

I'll do that I was just hoping in this time of unlimited access to the world that someone might have already done the leg work and saved me some time. I have a job and in my spare time I have to work on that plow so I can move some snow that has not shown up yet so my kids can enjoy X-Mass

13. mule585

mule585 Member

i had the same issue when i bought my unimount. if the motor works the hydro cylinders might be froze. put your plow in float mode and push the raise cylinder down manually a small 3lb sledge works great for this. do the same with the left and right have someone hold the controller to the right and push the right side of the plow towards the truck. this should free every thing up. i figured this out by accident when i got pissed and did a hard backwards kick to the blade. good luck hope this works

14. movingit

movingit Junior Member

the motor does not work at all right now the up down ram is free because i jacked up the blade to hook it up when i hit the control to lower the blade it dropped im going to look at the pump today

15. movingit

movingit Junior Member

I took motor off and took it apart the is side of the thing look like it has been soaking in salt water for about ten years.I will be getting a new motor.While having the motor off I turned the pump by hand and all of that moves and looks good.

16. dieselss

Good bout the pump, also see if you can move the shaft side to side. Shaft play shouldn't be much, little bit. Bearly move it. If it has play replace it too.

17. movingit

movingit Junior Member

I did and it is good this plow does not have many plows on it,it is going bad from just sitting.Now itwould snow I will change that.

18. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

You may have already done this but if you may also want to change the fluid and clean the filter if it has been sitting that long.

19. movingit

movingit Junior Member

I put a new motor on and all is working fine I will change the oil in the pump where is the filter that needs cleaned

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be getting more practice removing the motor because you must in order to access the filter. It's on the gear pump right under the motor. :D