1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help western headlight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by APLC, Nov 19, 2009.

1. APLC

APLC Senior Member

I need to change out a broken western unimount headlight and a local part shop has some
    (GROTE snowplow Lamps) that look like they would work just wondering if anyone know's if they will work or not. Thanks in advance :help:

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

yep, they will work

3. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Thanks I think I'm going to pick some up tonight $145.00 for the set seems good

4. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

I am not sure what is wrong with you western lights but i will tell you thw grote lights will have to be rewired into the western harness in order to plug into your truck. if it is just the face plated they can purchased for approx $25 - $30 dollars per side. if it is the bexxels they can be purchased for approx $50 - $60 per side. good luck

5. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Well it looks like who ever had it before me must have broken one light because it has a big square light on one side. I went to my local dealer and they quoted me $150.00 per side:dizzy: for western replacement. I would like to purchase two of the same or one direct western replacement lights. Anyone have any ideas?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Who did you go to down there in K-zoo?

7. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

You can purchase a new set of Western headlights #61543 list price $280.38 and have all new wiring harness or you can go on craigslist or E-bay and pay approx. $60 to $100 for a used set. Again you can make the Grote lights work but you would just have to splice the Western wiring harness on to it.

8. APLC

APLC Senior Member

I went to Steensma Lawn & Power Equipment, well I guess I will just splice into the harness
    thanks 33yearsinsnow

9. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

Good luck and Happy plowing

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Get ahold of No Lead on here, he can get what you need at a good price. In fact, ill send him a message to send him over here.

11. x.system

x.system Senior Member

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

For $250 or less you can buy the new intensifier kit that comes with the new harness and everything.

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I have a used genuine Western/Grote set with the 9 pin connectors for $100 shipped.

14. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

I believe you are speeking of the NightHawk lights from Western when you say intensifer lights. these lights only come with the 11 pin plow side harness and I believe this uni mount plow has a 9 pin(relay style) wiring harness. although the lights would work you would need to purchase the truck side harness's and ISO module. the cost of all this would add about $600.00 to the lights

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Do you make this up as you go or what? You must because you have no idea what your talking about. The least you can do is investigate before putting your kids in the street so to speak.

Actually, intensifiers, & night hawks are one in the same as there both made by the same company..Grote. Western & Fisher are also made by the same company...Douglas Dynamic. All of the wiring for Fisher & Western is the same. Yes, they do come with both light harnesses as I have installed 8 of these now for myself and others. 4 of which were relay style 9 pin.....one was mine. In fact if you only need the 9 pin one, you can sell the 11 pin harness for around $75 to $100 to gain back some of the $250 you just shelled out to get the kit.

16. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

The question asked here was on a Western UniMount plow so I am using Western Terminolgy. It is true that The Fisher Intensifire and Western Nighthawk lights are the same, they even have the the same part number 28800 with both company's as most common part do within the Douglas Dynamic companys. I am not sure what you mean by "yes they do come with both light harnesses" as these lights come with one harness parts #28213 (both a Fisher and a Western number) and is an eleven pin harness for ISO module truck side wiring only. Check the web site www.westernplows.com/pdf/28810.05_061506.pdf for a complete breakdown of these lights and it only shows one headlight harness. As I stated before western/fisher still make the old style lights with the 9 pin harness for Relay systems part number #61543. So I believe I have done my investigating before putting my "kids in the street"

17. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

FYI, When installing Intensfire of Nighthawk headlights you would also need Western part #28340 Headlight extension bracket as the new style lights are a 2 bolt light and the unimount liftframe only has a single bolt hole. This bracket list price is $56.00

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  18. RepoMan207

from Maine

There is ways around the bracket, and not ALL headgears need them. In fact there is MANY threads on the bracket subject here. As far as the lighting harness look below, it's right under your eyes. As I said, if you don't know what your talking about keep your kids out of the street. Nothing annoys me more then a know it all that doesn't know anything

yu.jpg

yu.jpg

19. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

The two numbers you have circled are just the headlights both driver side part #28801-1(list $144.03) and #28802-1(list $144.03) not pictured, no wiring harness. Your statement was that for $250.00 you got the lights with both wiring harness and could sell one of them for 75 to 100.00. These lights come with one 11 pin wiring harness and i dont think you should be misleading people on this site and tell them they will plug into a relay style system as a direct fit, I am not saying that it cant be rewired but they do not come out of the box and plug into a relay system and they do not come with two wiring harnesses. As stated one harness #28213 11 pin harness

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  20. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

So are my Kids still in the streets? I am sorry I annoy you but after 30+ years around snow plows I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about