1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help! western cable control. lift valve? check valve?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fabguy5000, Jan 15, 2011.

1. fabguy5000

fabguy5000 Junior Member

I have an older western plow with the cable controls. The problem is it doesn't seem that there is enough travel in the cable controls to make the thing go up and down like it's supposed to. Left and right works fine. This has been an ongoing problem for the past couple seasons and it seems as if now its so bad i cant use the plow. I can still raise and lower it by getting out and mokeying with the cable but want it fixed right. Could it be the lift valve?check valve? This plow is very old and has never been rebuilt so something seems worn out. Can someone steer me in the right direction towards the problem please. Thanks, Bob.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Some things you might want to check;

A)Check the cables to see if they are stretch..Is so replace the cables

B) Check the "lift ram" packing nut. If might be too tight, or the seals might be dry. If it too tight, loosen the packing nut slightly. Also check the shaft to see if it has pits around the shaft (rust spots verser chrome)
    If it is dry, then use some hydraulic fluid on a clean rag and (with the ram up) wipe it on the ram itself. Then drop the plow, lift.Then do it again, making the ram slippery.. Lower it again.. If it works, you resolve the problem

C) there is call a "adjust lift valve". Follow the instructions carefully.

Lcableadj.jpg

LcableadjAA.jpg

You can go to western site, and click on "quick search". type this number into the search box 62880. then click the search button..Down load the PDF..Here is the link
    http://library.westernplows.com/quicksearch.asp#searchStart

Lcableadj.jpg

LcableadjAA.jpg

3. fabguy5000

fabguy5000 Junior Member

lift valve

Its not the packing on the ram I have replaced it a couple seasons ago and I can push the ram down by hand when the cable is pushed into the motor far enough. Cables are good too. I will have to replace and readjust the lift valve i guess. The screw is stuck and will take some heat from a torch to get it out so the current valve and o rings will be junk by the time i get the screw out. Should I replace anything else? Should i do the check valve at the same time? Thanks for the help! Bob.

4. twinman326

Yes..........Don't heat it up to were it get really hot...Just warm it, or use blaster and see it that will loosen the rust up and may free the screw........You did down load the PDF?? that will show you everything from a break down point..

5. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Check the spool in the lift section. Disconnect the cable and make sure the spool turns freely and completely both ways. I had a stiff spool on one a few years ago and that was causing the cable to seem messed up. Have you flushed the system recently? You'd be surprised at the water that gets in there and the problems that it causes. Good Luck

6. fabguy5000

fabguy5000 Junior Member

Yeah it has pretty fresh fluid in it and it is the blue stuff. Its not the shaft thing either as it moves feely. Im gonna order parts for the lift and check valve monday. I would just take it apart first but the screws are rusty and Its going to be a tuffy to get it apart. Ive downloaded the manual and hope im headed for a fix. Its been acting funny for a few seasons so it would be nice to having it working well. Thanks for all the help.

7. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Be careful when you're doing the adjustments on that lift and check valve. That blade doesn't care whats under it when it drops. The new lift valve will be plastic, carefull adjusting it so it won't strip. Good luck.

8. soundnstyl

soundnstyl Member

Twinman... is there a guide like this for a Uni-Mount???

9. twinman326

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011