1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help Western 1000 series salter!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by firedawg1983, Dec 27, 2011.

1. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

I just put my salter on my F250 today and plug it in connections are fine but motor runs and salt shaft and salt spreader on bottom does not move at all. before I have to take out the six bolts and see what's up with the motor any ideas? it doesn't look like its rusted in place but there is a little rust build up and I just can't get it to move. I sprayed wd40 on the bottom parts but nothing towards the motor. help please thank you

Brian

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Check fuses?

3. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

fuses are all good.

4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

My guess is the bearing on the bottom is locked up....once a year is when they usually need replaced

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If the shaft is free (you should be able to spin it by hand) and the motor is running check to see if the pulley belt is still in line with the pulley. I had a Fisher 1000 that the pulley on the shaft kept slipping down because the set screw kept loosening up. If thats the case you'll need to take off the plastic box and realign everything and put a small amount of lock tight and use 2 set screws to lock it in. I just put self tapper's in when I put the box back on so I didn't have to mess with the tiny nuts any more.

6. okmetoo

okmetoo Junior Member

Its usually the bearing on the bottom tht locks up.

7. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

Ditto on the bottom bearing. same thing happen to me on my old 1000 Western

8. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

It was definitely the bearing! Thanks everyone for the help. It was rusted inside and out. I'll have to make sure I start changing it out every year or two.

9. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Guys there are now ALL stainless steel bearings and bearing housings available for these type of salt spreaders, sealed and maintenance-free.

See eBay item 112192760297 or 122187065871

The problem with the cheap factory bearing is that for one the housing is made out of CAST IRON, which is notorious for rusting, no matter weather its painted or not, when it comes in contact with moisture and/or salt it begins to rust instantly, then these little rust particles get inside of the cheap steel bearing assembly and eventually they seize up, quite quickly actually, it's almost impossible to properly maintain them, even though you try to clean and grease them, the rust particles still destroy it. These cheap iron/steel bearings have to be replaced before every season for peace of mind, and less down time. Here is a pic of these factory steel bearings and what happens inside of them, and a pic of the new STAINLESS bearings.

IMG_1992-1.jpg

IMG_1997-1.jpg

IMG_2070-1.jpg

firedawg1983 likes this.