1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help w strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by demetrios007, Sep 27, 2011.

1. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I traded my 04 f250 in for a 06 f250 and this truck has super low miles and was owned by an area fire cheif. Upon inspection I saw some cut wires and see that there are strobes mounted in the taillights and headlights, looks like a decent job, I did my last truck and these are as good on install quality. What I wanna know is can I hook any box like a whelen or similar to these strobes, or is there a wattage rating? The rears are in the cab and just cut under the seat, but its standard 3 wire, red,white,black I will just solder and connect new leads and molex out back. The fronts are just unplugged at the molex right behind headlight assembly so I have to run a new lead from each to the box. I can handle all that easily, just wondering on what box, I have 2 rears and 2 fronts.......thanks for any help

2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Really shoudnt matter as long as you get a strobe power supply and not a led flasher box...I just sold my last 2 power supplies on ebay, I reccomend whelen, as this is what I use and have always used and have never had any problems with there power supplies....Good Luck

3. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

Usually what I have found is the red/white/black wires are Whelen. I too would go with a Whelen strobe pack. I have found them to be the best or Sound Off works well also. Whelen has always been good about a quick turn around when I send equipment in for repairs.

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

there definitely are wattage ratings associated with them. Most Hideways vary between 7.5 up to 15 but there are ones that are higher. Most if not all will give you a MAX wattage rating. I believe the old rule of thumb was for optimum results, 15 watts per strobe, thus 4 outlet 60 packs and 6 outlet 90 packs. Try to find out what brand tubes you have and they will get the maximum info. -Chris

5. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

How many strobes are in the truck total? Multiply that by 15 and that's the size power supply you want to go with. You can usually go larger but I would not go any lower. Most professional strobe tubes will be around 30 watts.

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

personally.....i run 22.5 watts to all my tubes.....MUCH brighter

90x4
    180x8

no 22.5 6 outlet i really like to use....4 or 8 usually