1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help w/plowing gravel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by neal barkett, Nov 24, 2005.

1. neal barkett

neal barkett Junior Member

Can someone tell me how i can use my bobcat snowplow on my large gravel parking lot? the skids it came with dig in. Do they make skids for gravel areas?
    Maybe i'll have to fabricate something. I would appreciate any help.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't know how a Bobcat plow is made, but can you fab something that would look like a ski? This would lift the plow off the surface about an inch or so and be curled in the front so it won't dig in. Or, you could just hold it up an inch or so by bumping up your hydraulics.
  3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Maybe the first couple times backblade as much of the lot as possible and then push it into a pile? Then after the lots frozen then you can plow it normally. Our boss at work just lets the gravel lot in back get snowed on and packed down by driving on it and then after it has a frozen base plows.... But keep in mind no customers go in the gravel lot so no liability as far as that goes.
  4. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

I would use some old / used plow edges to make a bolt on ski similar to the type you see on snow pushers. They extend front to back with an uplift on both ends, like a snow ski. The amount of snow left behind is equal to the thickness of the material you use.
  5. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I tend to let the plow float till it's frozen some.
    Even when it's frozen I try to keep the blade light so I don't pull up to much stone.

I have heard of using a pipe with a slot cut in it on the cutting edge to make it skim on the tops of the rocks.
  6. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I have several driveways that have (pea gravel) the owners have put on them. The only way I have ever found to not plow it up is to backdrag it for the first 2-3 plows, packing it down, then it seems to be fine:cool:
  7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The pipe is always a good idea. But, don't you have control of the pitch of the plow? Try angling it downward so the edge isn't gouging or digging in at such an angle. Try to keep the edge more vertical and as someone else suggested, use the float position to push with. You will find a happy medium between the two.