1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help V plow angle cylinder..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TSG, Dec 11, 2003.

1. TSG

TSG Member

I just went out and hooked up my plow to check it over and noticed that one cylinder won't hold that side of the plow outward. It creeps back ever so slowly. Since I am completely new to plows... what is wrong (if anything) and what should I do about it?

Plow is a 7.6 Boss RT II

Thanks in advance!

2. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

Is it leaking oil on the ground, how fast does it creep back? Could be you just have a valve sticking a little, you could replace it or, it might work itself out.

3. TSG

TSG Member

There is no oil on the ground. As far as how fast does it creep back.. I can see it moving. Not sure how long it takes to go from fully forward to completely back... maybe a minute or two.

I could go out and time it?

Is it easy to repair? Costly?

4. BIGREDDODGE

I'm not sure how expensive it is, but If you are a little handy, you could try to drain the oil, and pull the valve out and check for any dirt that is in there, it is also a good idea to change the oil after a couple of years of sevice. I would reccommend using the boss fluid again.

5. TSG

TSG Member

Thanks for the info.. I'll try to take a look at the valve. I just purchased the plow and the previous owner told me that it was recently serviced.. all new hoses and changed fluid. This is a bummer!

6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Go to http://www.fisherplows.com and go to the service link, you can download the mechanics manual. You probility have a relief valve leaking, either the ball and seat (dirt) or the o-ring on is torn. The releif valves are on the side of the HPU, you simply back them out , don't lose the ball under the spring, I forget the number of turns they have to be set at when re-installed, but it in the manual, you can get an o-ring at any NAPA store. You don't need to drain any fluid, and very little leak out.

Bill

Sorry I got to correct myself the pump relief valve is on the side the wing relief valves are under the top front pastic cover, there's a primary and a secondary relief valve for each wing, they just unscrew, the ball sits on top of the spring, and the holder which has 2 o rings on it, you'll need a small magnet to get the ball and spring out, I had to replace the o-rings on mine

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  7. TSG

TSG Member

Thanks for your reply Bill. I'm not sure why you're referring me to Fisher?

I took the cover off to look at the hydrolic assembly and I don't see any leaking going on. Should it be obvious?

We did get some heavy rain last night.. would this have anything to do with it?

8. BIGREDDODGE

9. TSG

TSG Member

If this turns out.. here's a pic of the assemble. I don't want to change the fitting where the hose connect do I?

Nope.. too small

10. TSG

TSG Member

Another try..

valve assemby.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  11. TSG

TSG Member

I have another question.. Can I swap the cylinders from one side to the other.. to make sure it's not that?

12. BIGREDDODGE

yes, i think so, but i doubt it is that

13. BIGREDDODGE

I would just take the valve out and check it, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, just call your local boss dealer and ask them.

14. TSG

TSG Member

LOL.. I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said it was either the cylinder or valve. They said it would be 1-2 weeks until they could look at it.

15. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Sorry TSG, I must have been having a "senior's Moment", I keep forgetting Boss makes a V- plow! :rolleyes: I didn't read the bottom line that it was a Boss, but my bet would be the relief valve has a piece of dirt in it or a leaking seal.

Bill