1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help trouble shooting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 2_Djinn, Nov 14, 2014.

1. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Western 7'6 ultra mount , 05' flo-stat. I hooked it up and the solenoid clicks and pump runs but the plows acts as if it is bound up. Pulled off the reservoir and check the send /return tubes/filters all is good. Seem to have fluid at the ram end of the hoses. It also seems to want to turn right no matter if i push up/down left/right on the controller.

Early snow and equipment issues have had me on the sideline to start the season ...bout to lose my mind...thoughts?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Assuming that this is an isolation module and not relays.... Sounds like your valves are not working. Check the common ground wire that goes from the valve coils to the negative post of the motor. Will be black with an orange tracer. If this wire is loose or broken between the coils and the lug none of the valves will operate.
    Take the valve cover off and use a test light to check. Connect one end of the test light to the battery + and the other to any one of the three valve coil negative connections. Your test light will light up if the ground wire is good. If not take a jumper from any coil negative connection directly to the motor negative lug, now try your controller, if it works the ground wire is broken.
    If if won't go up, down left or right there are multiple valves failing. Most likely electrical so check this and then get back to us with results.....

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Got another control you can try?

4. mishnick

Good point kimber750, check the simplest thing first..... Too bad a spare controller is over $300. I have a bag with every generation of controller Western ever made just for that purpose. Perhaps 2-DJinn has a friend he can borrow one from for testing? Controller could be failing to send a signal to the valves.

5. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Ground wire is good everywhere I checked it , also put a new solenoid on it real quick to rule that out. And no I dont have another controller.

6. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Yeah, i can get access to another controller , not very conveniently though. I almost bought a backup controller for 200.00 in the summer but I was in grass mode....Controller aside what would be next troubleshoot or aside from plugging my controller in to another truck how would I test the controller for that matter ?

7. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

If you do not have a spare control, you can always do the controller test listed in the mechanics guide.

8. mishnick

Putting a test light on the + side of each coil or just holding a screw driver to the end of the coil will tell you if power is getting there. If the coils are dead then step back to the truck side of the control plug. That's the one with only three pins. As long as the light plug is connected the handheld will turn on and power will be sent to those three pins. Each pin is for one of the three coils. Get someone to push left right up and down while you test the pins. If it lights up there your controller is working fine.

9. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

10-4, Just to be clear I have two plugs and the one plug has 2 pins not 3.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

At the grill?
    How many at the plow?

11. kimber750

I would hope OP knows at least one person with same control. Or go to do dealer and try another control. No need to have a spare.

12. kimber750

How many pins on your control plug?

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

he must have relay wiring instead of iso? Iso came out in 2003, but somebody could have still been getting rid of relay kits for a couple of years.

14. mishnick

OK thats a whole different story, you have relay light controlls and a two plug (at the grill) system. That means that your lights and your coil signal wires pass through the same plug. The plug with two big pins is motor power from the motor relay (solenoid as people call it too) There are two different options with this setup, the 9 pin and the 12 pin. Look at the grill plug with all the small pins and count them. Do you have 9 or 12 pins?

Either way, the controllers on these systems get their power directly from the ignition wire so since the controller lights up, the relay clicks and the motor spins we know that you have ignition power and you battery + and - are good between battery and plow motor. This still sounds like a valve coil electrical issue.

Did you check the black org wire that goes from all three valve coils to the motor ground lug? Try taking a jumper wire and jump from one of the three coils to the motor ground lug, then see if the plow moves.

If that makes no difference you need to start doing some logical electrical troubleshooting instead of changing parts that have nothing to do with the problem. Replacing the motor relay was a waste of time and money because it clicked and the motor was spinning.

Now is the time where you get a test light or multimeter and start checking wires for power and continuity. Since you don't have access to another controller you have no choice but to test the wires systematically.

Count the pins in your plug and then I will give you a link to the schematic for your system. With that you can begin testing. Do you have a test light and / or a multimeter and do you know how to use them? If not there is not much more we can do for you.

15. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Control plug has 9 pins. Yes I have a meter.

16. mishnick

17. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

What kind of power should I be seeing at the terminals on the coils? 12v? I checked with the meter on each coil while I had someone work the controller and didnt seem to get anything there.

18. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Well I jumper-ed the wires at the controller plug in the cab and plow lifted right up so I would say the controller is the ******* in the woodpile.

19. mishnick

There should be 12 volts on the + side of the coil when the valve is activated and 0 when the plow is still. These have a common ground and are feed 12V only when the controller is activated.... except the S1 when the green controller light is on (float) at which time the S1 stays activated even if you let go of the controller button.

When you jumped the leads at the controller plug you eliminated the wires from there all the way to the plow so your conclusion sounds correct. Your controller is suspect.

Did you verify that there is 12V available at the controller plug? Should be the red wire and it's only hot when the key is on. If there is no power on the red wire the controller will not have power to send to the coils

20. mishnick

Did you verify 12V on the red wire feeding the controller? This is the ignition wire and should be hot when the key is on. If there is no power there the controller will not be able to send power to the valves. If that wire is dead then your controller might be OK.

Ooops, sorry for the repeat, I thought I lost the last entry.....