1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help to install back up lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nassa, Nov 21, 2008.

1. nassa

nassa Junior Member

Hi guys, I got a 2008 f350 with the uplift switches, I want to install 2, 55watt lights to the sides of the under the bumper Hitch. The thing is, I want to wire it to the 7pin plug so that it comes on when I put it reverse when I'm plowing, but the thing is, I also want it to turn off when I'm not plowing and just use the regular lights in reverse. I want to use one of the switches to turn them on and off when I need too without having to put in reverse, if anyone has ideas or wiring diagrams please share them

Thank you

2. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

The good thing about the upfitter switches is that two are high amp circuits. I would mount a relay behind the tailight. Ground the lights and the relay(86). Then use the reverse positive wire to activate the coil on the relay(85). and use the high amp upfitter switch to power the relay(30). Then your lights will come on when shifted into reverse with the switch in the on position. Turn off and the flood lights will not come on. I hope this helps Brian.

3. nassa

nassa Junior Member

That sounds easy, can anyone recommend a good relay,

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use a 40/50 W fog light relay. ( or a constant on model ) Use the + lead from the back up lights to trigger the relay. switch the - neg lead of the relay, so you can control when the lights come on.You don't need the lights all the time. Run a fused + lead back to the relay that is the switched / relayed power for the lights. Protect all the connections with Dielectric grease. Do not use the trucks backup circuit to power the lights alone. The switch is not designed to handle the amp's involved. It's a real pain to replace the OEM switch! been there, done it !