1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help steering play

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy, May 20, 2008.

1. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

So my ford superduty had alot of slop in the steering wheel. i can go from about 10 oclock to 2 oclock with out moving the tires. Leads me to beleive front end wear. i replace steering box, ball joints tie rods and draglink and Hubs. then had it aligned. Those little U joints on the steering shaft look fine too. So im wondering what am i missing. anyone else have this problem?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have an assistant watch each/every steering connection for slack while you wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. You want to do this with the front tires on the ground.

Watch for movement at the steering shaft and at the box (new or reman boxes are sometimes loose). Can also be in the steering column itself.

Also watch the panhard bar between the frame and front axle for play at each end. And check for movement at each spring bushing as well. Has to be loose somewhere...
  3. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

Look into the preload on the steering box, they have an adjustment bolt with a packing nut on it. I've found that a lot of these trucks are out of spec. in that department.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you read and follow the adjustment procedure in the repair manual. You can't just adjust it with out the procedure being done right. Every bit of slop adds more slop to the steering wheel.
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Probably the box itself. It has some adjustment as has been said with preload. Get a manual or have a shop do it.