1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help somethins not right

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by AHBoss, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

Hey guys my boss v seems to have alot of play in it like it wobbles side to side. Is this normal? or i thaught maybe the two pins are maybe gettin wore out so there is alot of play in them? Do i need to replace them? Any help would be great thanks its a boss 8'2 v blade only year or two old.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

does it woble all the time, or just when you go over a bump? and does it woble alot or just a little?

3. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

wobbles quite a bit and seems to be gettin worse

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

how old is it?

5. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

i just got it this year but i the guy i got it from either had it one year or two. so only year or two old.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Lift it off the ground and place the wings straight and wobble it by hand watching for where any perceived extra slop is coming from. Watch at the horizontal hinge pin and at the push frame-to-lift tower pins. Where's the excess slop emanating from? Didn't lose the center bumper did you?

7. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

i think its loose where those two pins are at the bottom the gold colored pins. where is the bumper thing that i could of lost? Sorry new to these boss plows i really appreciate the help

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's easy enough to remove the pins and check them and their pivot holes for any abnormal wear. And if that is where you suspect the slop is thats where I'd start. Lack of routine maintenance is where most of the excessive wear originates from. Those (and all) pins should be greased at least once a year.

The center bumper is at the front of the push beam under the center tower. It's the poly plate that the center tower rests on and is used to adjust the wing pitch. If it disappears then you'll get some extra slop between the pushframe and the center tower/wing assembly.

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

My V plow is 2 years old & it has the same symptoms. I started checking things out & found the pins from the lift tower to the plow frame were very sloppy. I have done routine maintenace on it after every snow & can't believe how bad they are worn. I am going to make bushings & weld in the holes to help take the slop out.

10. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

Hey guys i went and took a second look and B&B i think you may be right it seems like its loose up front under the tower maybe the bumper you were talkin bout so how do i know im not real sure what to look for and do i need to get inside there to find out? but i am pretty sure now that its not from the pins its up under the tower area. also right behind the main hinge where the plow hinges on top and on bottom there is one single bolt they looked loose also not sure what they are for

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not the best pic but it should give you the idea. Make sure it's there and hasn't moved or disappeared and that the hold down bolt is tight.

If that all checks out then next check the horizontal hinge pin. Make sure the nut or cotter pin/washer is on the end of it and tight and see how much slack is in it. If it or the holes are worn it allows excessive play between the push frame and center tower. Some is normal and beneficial but too much means either the holes or pin is worn.

fe7f_1211.jpg

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

BB,along those same lines,how much play should be in the the 4 trip springs?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A business card works good on the trip spring settings.

But contrary to popular belief and while we're on the subject of spring tensions that is too tight on the wings springs. They shouldn't have any gap at all when in the vee position.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So what your saying I should not be able to more the forward and backwards an inch?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That would be correct. :help:

16. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

ok i checked the center bumper and its still there so im thinkin it the horizontal hinge pin whats best way to get it out? w plow on truck? or off? and if pin is not worn and its the holes than what is my next step? Hoping its just the pin and i can just replace it

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're going after the horizontal pin it's best done with the plow on the truck and in the scoop position.

1) Loosen and remove the nuts from the trip spring eye bolts.

2) Loosen and remove the wing return springs. Safer when working with the wings extended.

3) Depending on which style pin you have, either remove the cotter pin from it or if its the newer lock nut retained type saw through the nut and simply push the pin out.

4) You can then easily slide the complete center tower/wing assembly forward from the push frame enough for inspection. No need to remove the hoses, there should be enough slack. Doing it this way it will remain stable as a whole assembly.

If the pin is worn simply replace it. However if the push beam is worn excessively then replacement of it too is the easiest method.

While you have everything apart it's also the PERFECT time to add a grease zerk on the underside of the pushbeam where the horizontal pin rides in it's bore. Makes both the pin and push beam last much longer.