1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help setting up Meyers Power Angle on 86 CJ !!

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 86 CJ, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I have been plowing for years with two different Jeeps and a 7' Western Setup that worked Great, but living here in MD we have had a lack of snow the past 3 years and I decided to restore the Jeep in the garage and sell the plow.

After the 23" storm we had here before Xmas, I could not stand it and went and found a reburbished setup from some a good operation in PA and brough it all home to install it.

It's a whole differnt setup from the Western, No PLugs to just plug in and work and the pump sits on the jeep and gets wired instead of everything off the jeep, which I don't like as much at all, but no biggie.

I am ok right now with the wiring from the switch to the Plow motor and silinoid, but am having problem wiring up the lights from teh new switch I need to mount in the dash to the from Jeep wiring harness to the new plow lights. Is there anyone who has done this on a CJ and can throw me a diagram with the colors. I can take a pic of the colors and harness the guy at the plow center made for me to work as well..

2. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Anyone????

3. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Wiring in CJs is a night mare. What I have done with my cjs is. Test the plow lights with a 12 volt tester and determine which is ground, high beam and low beam. Then I got a 2 way toggle switch
    ON-OFF-ON When I plow during the night I just pull the switch out on the jeep for the parking lights and turn the plow lights on. I have the Saber lights on both my jeeps, The dealer set one pair of them up with the switching relays and they always shorted or blew fuses. hope this helps

4. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Understand all the 12v testing with the front plow lights and have the toggle mounted for on and OFF with 6 colred wires coming out of it at the dash, BUT where do I tie them into the Jeeps Wires. I have a long Green and Red I guess for high adn low beam to run to the front plow lights, but have 4 more colors that need to connect up??

5. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

6. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Hey Man, Can you take any pics for me under the hood and dash of your wiring setup? Dis you have to mess with anything under your dash other then the toggle switch? Where did you tap into the Dimmer and Jeep light switch?

7. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I will take some pics this afternoon.

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

That would be great. I just need to see where you taped the light harness into everything. Also I have a 4" Suspension lift on my CJ and 1" Shackle, will I be ok with a stock a frame mount setup on the front end to the plow?

9. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I have a 2 inch lift with 2inch shackle lift and my plows are fine. I think as long as you are running smaller tires (31" or less) you should be fine.

10. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

You get some pics??

Yikes, I am runnnig 35" tires :(

11. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

What happen to the pics man?? :confused:

12. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

sorry about that when I did have time its been raining. I will do it tonight in my garage.

13. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks

Where do your arms mount on your frame for your plow setup? Inside the frame or outseie the frame? Over teh axle or under the axle?
    Thanks

14. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I run tractor lights, powered off the solenoid at the starter, so that my original CJ wiring is intact and the wiring for my tractor lights is separate. There is really no reason to combine the two, other than going through your annual state inspection, just do not turn them both on at the same time during inspection.

The toggle switch "on off on" is okay, but why go through the hassle? Just run the wires separate and feed your aux. lights off their own circuit. Oh, I use regular old AGC 20 fuses as well in the run, so that if I get a bad short it will not shut off the rest of the wiriing. Also, I use tractor lights for back up lights too. Plenty of light and darn cheap to buy.