1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help setting up 98 Expedition with plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by malone, Aug 17, 2008.

1. malone

malone Junior Member
    from mass

Hi I need help setting up my 98 expedition with a western plow, dealer tells me use a suburanite plow that looks like a toy plow, I 've seen the midweights at 7.5 ' about 540 lbs less frame I think. Does western make a smaller plow like 7', how much can the expedition take, i have some small accounts, but don't want the suburanite. any ideas thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it need to be a Western? Is that your only choice?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider a 7'6" Snoway 26 Series. great fit for a Expedition.

4. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

The expedition is the same as a f150. You can put a 7 1/2 HD Fisher Minute Mount on it or anything smaller. We put full size plows on the half ton truck all the time. Any other questions let me know.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to make a note that its not a Fisher endorsed practice. :salute:

6. NorwayAuto&Plow

Yea.... I know that but light dutys just don't do it for me and im sure its the same for other people. We must have installed over 450 7 1/2 plows on half tons and non have come back. Usually it is said not to put one on because it will void the warranty.

Its Fishers way to ensure themselves if they were to be involved in a lawsuit involving the plow trashing/totaling the truck because of weight or stress factors.... atleast thats what i think.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As well as yourself. ;)

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And you're welcome to your opinion. If you have customers wanting to buy RDs to self install they can do it, but as a professional you're held to a higher standard. Don't leave a paper trail of a unlawful transaction, like a 1/2 ton mount on a receipt with a 7.5RD.:nono: The Judge will shake his head and ask if you think he's an idiot. Never pays to annoy the judge

Believe me if someone is hurt badly in an accident involving a truck with a snowplow they'll sue all the pockets they can find. They'll go after you, Fisher, the truck dealer, the truck owner, the truck driver and whoever services the vehicle. You have given Fisher the perfect reason to request dismissal, you also probably have exempted the truck manufacturer by exceeding their specified weight limits. Also both these parties have the right to file supplication suits against you to recover legal fees resulting from the litigation.

So while they may not "do it for you" they can do it to you

Not JMO this is fact.

9. NorwayAuto&Plow

Holy essay!!!! We do tell people to put in a ballast and we highly recommend that people install timbren bags which builds up the front gvrw standards. Whether or not they do it is not our problem. If they don't want the bags then they are basically saying that they don't accept the fact that they need them to be more correct and lessen the chance of fault.

It is not just us that put full size plows on half tons, all the dealers do around us... sometimes even v blades. It is not just the fisher dealers either and i know that some of the bosses are heavier than the fishers.

10. NorwayAuto&Plow

If fisher doesn't want full size plows on half tons then why do the pictures in the brochure have half tons with 7.5 RDs? It even says it in the discription. Here is a link for you.

http://fisherplows.com/modeldetail.asp?model=hd

2nd paragraph.... 6th line down.... and the forth word. WHAT DOES IT SAY?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It says they make plows (and I paraphrase) for 1/2 ton through 15,000 Gvw super duty's. But it doesn't say WHAT PLOW YOU CAN PUT ON WHAT.

Try the Ematch. Run 1/2 ton trucks, most of them (including the 98 EXPEDITION) Ematch with a Homesteader. Some will accept a SD, but none of them match up to a RD maybe that's because.... FYI Fisher doesn't make a RD snowplow any longer.

Their product line consists of Homesteader | SD Series | HD Series | XtremeV | XBLADE | MC Series | XLS.

Just in case you didn't know they have re-named the RD line SD. Didn't your Fisher DSM go over this when you placed your pre-season order?

As a sub dealer for one of the distributors you might argue ignorance but if you are a authorized Fisher Direct dealer it would never fly.

I really don't care if you hang an XLS on a KIA I'm not the one getting sued, but depending on the lawyer/insurance company I might be the expert witness testifying at the trial.

12. NorwayAuto&Plow

I knew about the elimination of the RD. The link goes to the HD page and in the discription it says that the HD/RDs will fit on 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton four wheel drives. I only go by what other dealers say such as my supplier. I know alot of the dealers in New York and they all put the 7.5 HD/RD plows on 1/2 ton trucks.

I don't know why you need to go into such detail about everything!!!!! All the guy said was you should make a note that fisher doesn't endorse it. Leave it at that!

Tell me... How bored are you anyway????!!!!???

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

To pharaphrase my (and propably everyone else's Mother) Just because all the other plow dealers stuck their *&^%s in a light socket will you?

Have you asked Dean what he thinks?

14. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Very, to dark to play golf, the shop's closed, I finished depositions on the only case i'm actively consulting on, it's not snowing and my wifes asleep. I have to say though you're starting to bore me. As my old pappy used to say ' ain't no fun talking to a rock.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Too Funny.

17. NorwayAuto&Plow

Yea.... Put up your white flag and so will I. Its too late... time for bed and i need to prepare for tomorow.

Thanks tho... it was fun while it lasted :)

18. NorwayAuto&Plow

Don't worry about that... its only august and gas prices ARE coming down. Soon the trucks will come out of hiding from the pumps and start searching for plows for the LARGE AMOUNTS of snow to come this year. payup

Get some sleep man.... its late!

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:dizzy:Dude I don't know what the He!! you're taking about. One of the things I do is expert witness work for trailer towing and snowplow litigation, lawsuits happen all year long. Normally over things that happened years ago, lawyers like to wait to the last minute before statue of limitations run out before filing suit.

I don't wave white flags, i stand my ground and chance defeat. As for sleep, i have eternity to do that.

So what has Dean had to say about this?

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Who is Dean?