1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help selecting plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by AndyTblc, Feb 11, 2008.

1. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I am going to get a plow for next winter, because my tractor is getting weak. I'd call my John Deere a piece of junk, but I don't want to offend anybody. I am looking at getting either the snowman 7.5' homeowner plow with the power angle. Or the suburbanite by wester. or the homesteader. I do all residential. I may pick up a small lot or 2. But if I get the snowman, I won't get any lots. If I got the front plows I'd get the 7.6. So if you guys could give me just an idea about prices to put on my truck, I have a 1999 GMC Classic 1500 Sierra Z71. I kind of like the fact about the snowman because it don't put stress on the front end. Let me know what you think.

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Are you using the tractor just for snow removal or mowing too? If multiple uses, why not replace it?

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I do lawn mowing too, but I bought another lawn mower, so I use that for back up, and some heavy hauling, I don't want to get rid of it. I'd still use it durring the winter, because I blow a path through the back yard to our mail box so we don't have to walk all the way around. But with my tractor, I am limited on where I can go, because I don't want it to break down, and I'd be 1 mile away from home and have to walk all the way home when it's 5 degrees. So I'm looking at getting a plow. I want a light weight plow, or the snowman plow, I figured out where the snow goes on the back plows, they pull it out to the road, and then drive down the street with the blade angled and it goes to the side of the road, which wouldn't be bad at all. I just need some ideas on prices and other opinions.

4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You need to check your local dealers to see what lines they carry and how much they are installed. I don't think you will find much of a price difference between the professional line and the consumer line. If you need backdragging, you may want the heavier professional series along with the backdrag edge like Western has for example. From looking at the Snowman series, it doesn't look like it angles. Make sure to use properly secured ballast and you should be fine on your truck. Have you considered repowering the tractor if that is what it needs or is the whole thing going? For the same amount as the plow, you may be able to get a tractor replacement that uses the same attachments you currently have.

5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

no it's a 1984, and it's on it's 2 motor, and the transmission is going out on it, and it is starting to rust.. and people have told me that they would have me plow their driveway, but they live 3-4 miles away, and I can't drive the tractor down there, because the traffic is 55 mph, and I am going 8mph. If I got the snowman, I'd get the residential plow, because it does angle. So I'd consider that, but with that I can't do lots or anything, so I'll just call some local dealers since they don't know how to reply on their e-mail.

6. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Well I got a price for the suburbanite, it is $3615+tax. Then with out installation minus $300. I don't know, I am kind of thinking about the snowman plow with the power angle.

7. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If you can visit the dealers and look at the plows, it may change your mind one way or the other.

8. Ironwood

Ironwood Junior Member

You might look at the Snoway. I've had my MT 7'6" on my 99 Yukon for 3 years. I've been real happy with it. I think the local West Michigan dealer is Muskegon Brake. I got mine up at Houghton Lake.

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

yeah, muskegon brake I have looked at, but my dad said that we should just sell the john deere, take the money from that, and put it towards a used plow truck for maby $2300 or so, and just use that for plowing, then take the insurance off the truck durring the summer and park it.

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Why not look for a good, used Fisher LD 7'6" plow for your truck? Truck would handle it fine, and would last you forever!:waving:

11. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I would, but I don't know how long my front end parts will stay good, they are all good right now, never been replaced, and there is 213k miles on it, and it's my daily driver, but next winter is still young, I'll know exactly what I"m doing my September, because I think I have my John Deere sold.

12. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Do NOT do this! It is illegal almost everywhere to put snow on the road and feather it into the shoulder. Most places, snow must stay on the property it came from. Just a fair warning to you. Good luck! :salute:

13. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

My mom is on the city planning commission and my neighbor is going to be the mayor next term, and I know the mayor now, so I'll be doing alright, but my dad said he will pitch in with some money to buy a cheep plow truck, so I'll take free money. So I've made up my mind, thanks for the input.

14. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Go with the western suburbanite or fisher homesteader. Do not buy a sno-way, too much money for what your getting. Plus there has been a lot of complaints on this site about them lately.