1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help (Salting quotes)

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by spiviter, Jan 8, 2005.

1. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

How many pounds of salt or ice melt does it take to cover a 1,000 square foot area of a parking lot. I have all my new accounts asking for salt quotes this week after the storm just hit. I am picking up a reciever spreader today... and am buying 50# bags of salt for about $3.25 a bag.... I am in dupage and cook county area.......

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have already plowed that area and there is just a skiff of snow you might need 80lbs of salt. If it is freezing rain you might need 200lbs, but that would be the most you would need. If you are pricing per application and not by the bag then I would price for 2.5 bags if you are doing it all the time and 4 bags if you are only doing it in bad conditions.

3. It depends on whats on the ground still and how soon it needs to be clear..thier is no SET amount for X sqft... it is something you will learn with experence, but i will tell you for 50# we pay about $0.47 and its not uncommen for just 1 of my trucks to put down 6000lbs of salt in a 1-3inch snowfall.

even baged salt is only $3.75 for 80#s (buying one at a time, by the pallet its only about $3.25 per bag) but we buy balk salt its much much more cost effective. we prepay for 50ton increments of balk salt. we will put out atleast 10,000lbs today..would be even more if it was a weekday.

hope this helps you alittle.... i would stay away from the reciver type and go with an in bed style, but if thats all you can get right now dont worry we all started somewhere, Good luck