1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help removing 6 speed transmission

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by datank450, Nov 9, 2014.

1. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

My clutch just went on my 2002 f350. I think the transmission type is a zf s560, 6 speed. I have all wires and everything moved out of my way to drop the transmission moved out of the way or disconnected. Crossmember and tranny mounts taken off. I can only see seven bolts that mount the transmission to the engine and they are all off. I have my jack under the tranny ready to lower it and I can't seem to separate the tranny and engine, it's almost like I am missing a bolt because the tranny doesn't big when I pull on it. Does anybody know how to get this tranny down, and could you please give me some technical help.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Diesel or gas

3. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

5.4 gas engine

4. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Does anybody know how many tranny to engine bolts hold this tranny on. I have 7 taken off and can't see anymore.

5. dieselss

Might be seized need to pry apart. Have you remove the shifter from inside the trk? And the 4x4 linkage

6. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Yes everything is disconnected that makes sense and it's 2wd

7. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Alignment pins are probably seized up, may have to do a bit of prying.

8. dieselss

That sounds about right.

9. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

Don't forget # 8:laughing:. if all the bolts are out break out the pry bar, they normally don't just slide apart without atleast some effort..

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I did mine pins was seized up to where one came out I used 4ft and a 6ft pry bars to get it break apart. But mine was a 5 speed on a 4x4 Never work on a 2wd one I thinking was 8 bolts but I could be wrong I'm trying picture it in my head

11. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I took our 4 bolts on the driver side and 3 on the passenger side. I ran my fingers around the bell housing and can't find a #8 bolt. Do you know where the hidden bolt could be?

12. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Does anybody have a diagram of this tranny. Please help me out, trying to get this done before it freezes outside.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You're missing a bolt. There's 4 on passenger side. One at the top, one above the bump out, and 2 below it.

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did you take the starter off?

15. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

The exhaust bolts were seized and I couldn't get them off, so I cut the bolts at the exhaust manifold to get that out of the way. The tranny is down and now I'm stuck with the studs to the exhaust manifold that won't budge. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get these bolts out. I heated it up with a torch and tried to get it broken but those things won't bugde.

16. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Dont heat too much or you could end up with head gasket replacement in 10 days after getting back on road

17. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

bolts stuck at the cylinder head?

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If you mean the two manifold studs on each side of the engine, I think they are stainless steel. I have done some on V-10s, with the manifolds in a vise. Had to heat them glowing red to remove them. Be very carefull doing this on the vehicle.