1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help quoting a job for a commercial customer in Maine

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by fordf350super, Oct 12, 2014.

1. fordf350super

fordf350super Junior Member

thanks for helping me in advance
    i have a commercial neighbor that has seen my equipment and hired me previously for the last two years. The first year i charged them nothing because the owner was having health issues. Second year after he got better but still had big bills i charged him 50$ for plowing and 50$ for sanding. my question is now that his business is thriving and i cant do things for free anymore what should i charge him?
    his parking lot is 330 feet long by 65 feet wide a perfect rectangle with a sign on one side and two entrances that are on a major highway. he likes it plowed before they open at 8am.when its icy or slick throw sand down. last year i bought a kubota l3240 with enclosed cab and charged him 100$ to knock down the snow bankings and move the snow piles back.
    so my question is What should i charge him

1. For just plowing the paved 330 x 65 parking lot?
    2. for sand/salt the 330 x 65 parking lot ? i pay 35$ per yard of sand salt mix
    3. and how much should i charge for using my tractor?
    thanks for your imput
  2. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I'd be around $80-$100 per push depending on the aggravation factor of clearing the entrances. And around $60-$70 per application of sand salt mix and straight salt would be double that. That's less than 1/2 acre to service. I'm not sure how long it would take with the tractor but with a truck and a 8 ft blade would be around 25 min to plow.
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would be at $100 a push, and $80 a sanding. I would say you have earned the right to make a buck.
  4. Daddyworbucks

Daddyworbucks Junior Member

Anything I bid for salt this year I will keep in mind the salt prices and informing customers of the salt situation helps them understand the increase. Now ........go and make some money!!!!!!!!