1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by shutzero, Sep 3, 2009.

1. shutzero

shutzero Junior Member
    from CT

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pix no work. Load onto your computer then post it.

3. shutzero

shutzero Junior Member
    from CT

its from google maps i dont know how to save the satellite picture to my computer but it looks like it about a 250x300ft parking lot with a building in the center about 75x200 ft if you want to its 210 E. Johnson Ave. Cheshire, CT if you want to go to google maps and check it out

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You must be professional, knowledgeable, and CAPABLE of handling these accounts.

I believe is what it said in the original post by Trevors Lawn Care

5. shutzero

shutzero Junior Member
    from CT

ok but you need to start somewhere right? we are capable equipment wise i just dont know what to charge. it would be cool if i could just get an answer

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Bidding by satellite only is not a great way to do it. I would prefer to look onsite but its not my job and not my money so I will just throw out some ballpark figures so you get the idea.

Its looking like around 2 acres + walkways.....$350 for 0-4" and $500 for salt.....maybe?

7. Longae29

Well assuming you charge between $75/hour and $225/hour and are using something in the range of a 1/2 ton pickup with a 7' blade and a loader with a 14' pusher, and you charge between .15/lb and .25/lb for salt, and there is no mention of length of sidewalks. I would charge $161.04 to plow, and $873.48 to salt.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Lots of unemployed comedians this year. :D

9. Longae29

friday before labor day......no clients are in their offices today, its a play day!

10. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

there just nobodies crete.. alot of hot air that couldn't even melt snow....

To think I actually wasted time answering another post taking one of them seriously.. LOL

11. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Here's my opinion even though you didn't ask for it. This will be my first year, and that lot would be a lot I'd consider. IF I had a backup truck and a swing wing that fit both. That would be a lot to push for a FNG like myself, especially if they want that off-pavement trailer storage area cleared as well. If you have a wheel loader of somesize with a containment plow it'd be very doable. Like a Cat 980 would probably do it... There's a lot on this site about pricing, hit that search button and you should find an answer in a few days.

What if it stops snowing at 5am and they need it opened up by 6 or 7 at the latest? Definitely gonna need something more than the 980 for that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You are joking right?

I guess the comedy continues.

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That should do it by 7am. Maybe 6:30....

14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

[​IMG]

Do they want you to haul the snow off-site? I think Herculift can set you up with one of these...

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around.

16. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

LOL I agree some are just more challenged than others ...

17. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Hey Crete why don't you give an answer on what this man should charge, your talking alot of **** to people that are trying to help this guy out but your not helping him just adding useless posts, im curious to see what he should charge to be honest.

18. without seeing a pic the following comes out of your second post
    250x300 75000sq feet building 200x75 60000 sq feet approx 1 and 1\3 acre of pavement

again without seeing it that should take no more then 2 hours with one pickup being generous on time as I have not seen obstructions pile locations etc

ball park salt 800-1300lbs again depending on pavement conditions your plow, weather, how well you clean up, etc lots of opions on salt coverage to(this is mine) do a search

no one on here
    will give you a honest price in a forum because it basically can't be done. do a search on pricing. You'll get lots of help estimating time and salt coverage pile locations how to push etc and lots will have different opinions then me. However if you can't come up on the rest on your own ie what does my equipment cost? how much would I like to make in profit? you have no business putting a bid in. IMO and not to bust your balls but if you don't know your times on that size lot and what you need to make an hour\season to be profitable i would say to start a bit smaller or sub.

again not trying to be a dick but if anyone gives you a straight out "id price it for x amount" reply they are probably screwing with you, in my area I like to see 3 x my cost on salt and $125 ish an hour on a truck. for seasonal x hours per snowfall (avg) by avg # snowfalls. but those rates may get you laughed at in your region. again get out there and see what your competition is up to and to do that you may have to over or under price some jobs or sub for a while

good luck either way

19. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

looking at the satellite photo (which you really need to link to or post here (right click on the picture, select save as and choose .jpg and then post the picture)

it's a big warehouse with semi-trailers around it and the parking lot surrounds it.
    no curbs, no obstructions, everything pushes from the front to the back.

quick, easy fast.

2 hours max.

as someone gently chided, you need to know what YOUR hourly rates are and multiply out.

20. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I would say around 2 hours, but what a PITA plowing around those trailers