1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lynden-Jeff, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

This is my first year plowing. I am asked to price a hotel which will be my main account as it will be priority with pushes often since customers are coming and going. I have attached a pic with the parking lot outlined. I believe I know what it should go for but if anyone wants to take a guess at what is reasonable it would help me out alot. This will be a contract most likely, not per push.

2. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

long distant pushing

Looks like an hour to an hour and a half - if the lot is empty.
    You also need legal property boundary's to determine your use at the adjoined property.
    Who will be responsible for the shared drive entrance.
    You will need to get a solid explanation what the owners expect - clearing space between parked cars... well, get lots of insurance.
    Most apartments, hotels, etc seem to expect miracles - miracles cost $$$$
    Whatever your normal rates are, we do not know - will you be available for on-call trim work (at their convenience).
    I did a lot where the hand shovelers would push from between vehicles into the lot instead of into the snow piles (it's easier for them).
    My only argument with the owner "That's not snowfall, your people put it there." There will need to be an additional pricing clause in your contract for this situation.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Canada, that's a pretty big town you live in. The price will vary so much depending on where the hotel is.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Yea sorry its in hamilton, not to to far from you. Im thinking atleast 150-200 per event (1-3 pushs most likely per event) from what ive been told from others. Im just not sure what to give a price if they want a flat monthly fee to have the lot cleared when it snows, no matter how often it snows. Does this seem outrageous?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I do everything on a per-plow basis and then pro rate that if I come back to clean up around cars that have moved. Works well for us and you don't lose if you go back several times during a big storm.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you salting and if yes is that also included in the contract price? Do you have any idea of the # of snowfalls you average? How many snowfalls over 6"? I don't think you would have to push 3 times in one snowfall very often.

If that place is close to full or even 1/2 full during the night you would be better off with something you can move the snow with ie. wings/blizzard/V blade or you are going to spend a lot of time straight blading. I run a 8'6" blade with Western pro plus wings and I would not be ther 45 min.

In Newmarket I would price that place for 25 plows and 50 salts with less then 500 lbs. of salt per application.
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Ok, I will be salting, I remember the manage mentioning she doesn't like much salt being used but I don't want slip and falls all over my arse so I will have to say it gets done when its needed. Now you say 25 plows and 50 salts. Is this the minimum you charge for divided up over the 5 month contract period?Ive heard around here plowing per hour goes for 80-140/hr so 100/push would be fair? I do not know what salting would run but im sure id be making alot of money at $50/salting.

Thanks for the input.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The 25 and 50 are the numbers I use on an all in contract. One of my contracts runs 6 months and I get 1/6 per month. My other I get paid percentages at specific times throughout the winter.

Hourly plowing is a tough number to use. If I want $100/hour and I go to look at a 15 minute plow I would probably charge more then $25. If I have a place that I get $300/plow and it take 3 hours at 4" and 4 hours at 6" and 2 hours at 2" how do I tell you how much I make/hour?

$50/salting is not enough, I would be between $80-$100. I would be less then $100 to plow but I think I could do that lot in 30 minutes or less. I do an apartment complex that is larger then that and I am there only 30 minutes.