1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help pricing!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Trinity NJ, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Trinity NJ

Trinity NJ Junior Member

I guess this should be here. I posted it in the New to Industry section because I am new to plowing, but it is a estimate question.

I have done a search and I think that I am getting this proposal about right. I am new to plowing, and one of my commercial proposals wants a snow proposal along with the lawncare.

The lot is approx 44,000sqft (just a little over an acre). It is pretty much completely open with little to no obstacles, and shaped almost like a perfect rectangle.

I am using a 3" trigger and here is how I priced it:

3-6: $125 per push

6-12: $175 per push

12 +: $100 per hour

Salt/Sand: I estimated that I would probably need 8 10 lbs per 1k with a price variation (depending on salt to sand ratio) $350 - $750 per application. Am I way off or am I about right? I need to submit this proposal by next week, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I'm not going to talk price specifically, cause I can't speak for your region or costs, however I will point out a few things for you.

Trigger - What sort of business is it? Did they request 3"? We use a 1" trigger for our per event customers. Seasonals, 2". If they didn't specify, get that trigger depth as low as you can if you're per event.

I think you should rethink your ice control price. Maybe I missed something, but $350-$750 for an acre?

3. Trinity NJ

Trinity NJ Junior Member

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, the ice control price seemed a little high to me (actually a lot high). However, I was basing it on the price that I saw online for product from Lesco. I was told a good rule of thumb was double your cost with the product.

I am going to try and get the trigger down, and I think I may rethink my pricing on the plowing too.

Thanks again.

4. GSE

GSE Senior Member

You might want to make some calls and look into buying salt from someone who stores it in bulk. I don't know what your planning on spreading with, but I'd take a hard look at a V-box.

There are a ton of variables with ice control; temps, surface, sun exposure, etc, etc, etc so there's no hard set rule but I'd plan on an average application on 1 acre to be around 400-600 pounds of salt. You should be able to buy it loaded for +/-100 bucks/ton. You need to figure out what you're going to charge, but know that there should be HUGE margins with salt!

Do yourself a favor, push for straight salt rather than mix. Less mess, better results.

5. njgreenkeeper

njgreenkeeper Junior Member
    from n.j.

That sound to cheap.I would not touch it for less than 300 per push 2-4 and I would ask for a insurance retainer.NJ WE dont get that many pushes.salt may be a little high.let me now how you make out www.NJgreenkeeper.com

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

id say my 3-6 price would be 325 - 400.. i mean even if takes you an hour thats only 125 an hour, you mind as well go be a sub for someone and not deal with all the headaches.. just my 2 cents...