1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need HELP Pricing Private Road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HandyHaver, Nov 29, 2000.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I just got back from an estimate in which the guy said he wanted a price to clear his drive. When I got out to his place, he also wanted a price to plow the private road to his drive. He shares this lane with a neighbor. ( who is also interested in getting his drive done) I clocked it with my odometer to be just over 1/10 a mile (650-700'). He just wants 2 angled passes, one in, one out. Does $60-$70 per visit (plus both drives extra) sound to cheap??? I don't want to give it away but I also don't want to loose it. Both drives & road look like cake to me.

2. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Where are you located? It depends on how many trips you get per season. We do several tracks, townhomes & roads, for one I priced out how yu are talking, road about same size $ 300/season + 100 each drive,drives are very small ( car long 1-2 cars wide)we average 15-20 trips a year here just plowed first time roads & 16 drives took 45 min, driver said he figured out property, and will be faster next time.

3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Mike,

I'm located just outside of Phila. I'm a newbie this year but don't see how this road and 2 drives could take more than 30 min.

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Private roads are some of my most profitable accounts. Get at least 1K per mile. Do a search for more info.

Geoff

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Geoff,

Did a search on Private Rds as you suggested and found enough insight to price this job properly. thanks for the help.

Mark

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Since we're on the subject, thanks Geoff. I had to price a private road (I don't do residential, so I had no idea what to charge) and your ramblings in the other threads were a great help.

7. GeoffD

No Problem, Glad to help.

Geoff

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The only problem with one pass in and one out is that the banks will build up and soon you wont even be able to plow it,the snow will pile up in front of the truck and you'll get stuck.You have to keep the berm as far away as possible from the road,if you get a substantial amount of snow,especially in turns and other spots where you cant go fast enough to throw the snow far spread it out.I see so many new guys do this and by the time you realize it the banks are frozen solid and you need a loader to clear it and push them back.Always figure in the extra cost of a loader if he wont let you push the first few storms snow off the road a few ft.If the ground is frozen,you can plow it right onto the lawn with no damage.I think you price is about 10 to little for around here,and Id charge 40 more for anything over 6".Good luck

9. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I thought of that too John. It would be in my be interest to clear as much as possible the first couple of times to prevent the build up. I state in the contract that price does not include price of a loader if needed. I priced it from 2-6, 6-9, 9-12, and any snowfall over 12 will be billed at the 2-6 price for every 6 over 12. I think I got a fair price. It may be alittle low for our area but I already got 2 more referals from the guy whom he assured me are a sure think as long as I don't price myself out of the ballpark. It should pan out.
    Thanks for your input..............

Mark

10. GeoffD

My experience is, if you can't plow over 15 MHP plan on a loader.

You may get lucky and find a road that cuts though a field, or has plenty of space to stack snow. If there is room to plow an extra 1/2 pass on each side, they you may be able to get away with out a loader.

Geoff

11. GeoffD

There are 2 types of private roads that we plow.

10' wide or so. Generally just an oversize driveway, with 4 or 8 houses on it. These types of roads are handled by an F 350' with v-box and 9' plow. We only do 3 roads like this, so the F 350 can make quick work of them, then move to lots. These types of roads are where loaders are needed.

The second type are full size roads, much like the one the DPW handles. However these are slightly not up to town standards so, they must be handled by a private contractor. These are done with an F 650 or F 750 and 10' Fisher plow. Most of these roads have circles at the end or a hammerhead so turn arounds are easy. These roads generally don't need a loader.

I am looking at two Town trucks that will be for sale this spring, for my road plowing opperation. One is a 95' L 9000, frink angle blade, and wing. Double acting 5-7 yard body, for sanding. The second, is a 93 International, same plow and body specs. Both truck have low miles, under 60K.

Geoff

12. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

This road or "Lane" does cut through a field with only 2 houses on it. Both sit back off the road some and have plenty of room to stack. Got another call this evening for another private road with 5 houses & drives. I'll have a better idea how to approach this one and what to look out for.