1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help pricing my first large commercial lot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by shark78, Oct 9, 2014.

1. shark78

shark78 Junior Member

Hi I am having some difficulty pricing this lot, it is a 6 acre lot (+/- jogs). I am looking at a price for just the push no salt/sand application. This is a busy shopping mall/24 hr grocery store. We are mainly a residential company with a few small lots, but we are looking at expanding. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

To get the best help with your pricing, you should to try and post some pics from Google earth or something. The guys in this forum like seeing pics :D

3. shark78

shark78 Junior Member

4. shark78

shark78 Junior Member

Let's see if this pic works....

image.jpg

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Let's start it this way. What do YOU think it should be priced at?

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of equipment you got for this site? it will take more then a pick up ;)

7. shark78

shark78 Junior Member

If I get this contract we will pick up a large FEL. Right now just a skid and truck with plow. I'm not sure how long this will take and that's my pricing issue depending on time this lot is between 30-70k for the season at a 2" push with a 50" average....am I way off?

Extra contract info:

-Pick up garbage on the property, additional days/visits requested are extra
    -daily logs kept
    -cleared before 7:30am provided snow has diminished by midnight
    -they want me on site every day except wednesdays

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I'm thinking you are over your head. I encourage you to work your way up to projects that large. You could really get burned. You need to know your production rates relating to all facets of that job the and cost of your doing business prior to quoting anything much less any thing that large.

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Your lot size is more like 8 acres, the buildings added up to about 3.25 acres then I subtracted from total. I don't get that they want you on site everyday except Wed. Is that just to do a drive around and check on things or what. You said no salt/sand what about shoveling sidewalks, entrances and so on. I also would have thought Winnipeg got more then a 50" average. With a good size loader 12 to 14 ft box, skidsteer with an 8 or 10 ft box and a pick up you should be able to clean that lot in 4 to 6 hrs with the right operators.

10. shark78

shark78 Junior Member

They want us on site on a regular schedule for sidewalk maintenance, the sidewalks also have no "trigger" if it snows even 1/8" they want it taken care of for slip n fall prevention. They are providing sand/ice melter for the sidewalks, if they want the lot sanded its extra and was not requested. You were right on par with me at 6 hrs for the lot.

I don't know if I will get it as I am not the only contractor bidding and I'm sure like always they just want some quotes to show the board but go with the provider they always do....but you have to keep putting your self out there. This was the largest of 8 contracts they requested, so maybe I can get a few smaller ones through this.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated as it makes my bids stronger and improves my knowledge on how to increase our efficiency and provide quality service.

Wish me luck! The bid has been sent

11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Advice......stick around this site & be able to filter out the BS & you will learn alot about the snow industry & diff ways of approaching things. This site along with my determination to succeed allowed me to become a true snow professional.
    There is alot of guys on here that really know what they are doing & talking about & are willing to share some of their knowledge, just remember that most people on here are not "experts" also keep in mind, post counts don't mean they are the smartest or have best answers. You will learn who the "pro's" are. Good luck this winter:drinkup:

12. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I would run not walk away from this one right now.

1. 24 hour store
    what ever estimate you have for plowing and clearing, add in a few hours due to traffic, people walking etc...
    people are stupid they will walk and drive in front of plow trucks or loaders pushing snow, have seen it too many times.

2. no salt or sand applications
    I see they will supply it for sidewalks but nothing for the parking lots where everyone parks and walks in.
    Your just asking for someone to win a slip and fall suit from there.
    If they are stubborn and will not salt or sand their lot, then make sure you put that in the contract so liablity goes on them and not you.

I would let it go for this year and this winter keep an eye on it, see what company gets it, what equipment they put there and what the time frame is for clearing where they put the snow, do they haul it out of there.

Then run your numbers, how much will the equipment cost you, fuel, operator cost, and factor it all in to get your quote for them.

And don't forget to add the 10% for the pita factor. :laughing: