1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Jun 13, 2005.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

:help: I have a 1999 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab pick up, my problem is i'm hearing a ratcheting noise in the left front end. The noise does not change when i apply the brakes or slightly turn from left to right. The noise is more evident at around 25 to 40 mph. I have not had the tires off yet, but i was wondering if the anti lock sensor could be hitting the sensor ring on the axle, the person i bought the truck from said that at one time he had the front hubs come loose, could this be happing again?

2. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I had the same thing on my 82 pick up. I found out it was the hub bearings. I'm not shure if the 99 is the same set up. If the hubs are loose it will make that sound.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would check the CV boots for any damage. A torn boot means the joint has lost it's grease and probably bad.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Mike the front end is different than the 82' however i had a similar noise in my 89'. Lawnmedic i checked the cv boots and they are intact and clean, that does not rule out a possible cv joint, i should have time this week end to look at it.