1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by missbhaven, Nov 14, 2013.

1. missbhaven

missbhaven Junior Member

I'm getting killed on my bids on jobs, I don't know how these guys make any money on some of their bids.
    I usually quote jobs by inch of snow like a job:
    2"-4" snowfall per push = $100.00.
    4"-8" snowfall per push = $150.00.
    8"-12" snowfall per push = $200.00.
    Over 12" snowfall went to $75.00 per hour.

I've never bid jobs on a trigger, I'm going to try to bid next job on a 2" trigger, but I have a question regarding a trigger if someone could answer.

Question: If you have a two inch trigger bid on a job for lets say $100.00, and it snow's four inch's on one snowfall. Does that mean you bill out because it accumulated four inch's $200.00 on "one push", or does that mean you just bill out $100.00?
    If what I think is true and you would bill out $200.00 what about
    one snowfall was 5.8" would you bill out only $400.00 or would you round off because over 5.5 to bill out six inches @ $600.00.
    Could someone answer my dumb question?
    Thanks
    First time on site

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

There's lots of discussions about this, so .... read through them, and you shall find what you seek.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

2" trigger means you plow every 2"....and charge per plow if your agreement is set up that way. It's the only way I do it.
    For whatever reason, around here nobody will even consider paying a seasonal rate. Per event is unheard of.
    Per push with a trigger is the fairest way.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

First .... Talk to your customer to see what they want.Thumbs Up

When someone sets a trigger what they are saying is they want to save money and they have a certain level of tolerance to the snow that they can live with. In many area's we will see many dustings and events of 1 and 2" inches.

When you hit the magic 2" or 3", 5" or even 10" it is like a pyramid .. the higher up on the pyramid the less events and in the customers eyes they save money.

Let's say you do a 2" trigger ... That is when you are now allowed based on agreement to go plow. If it is during the customers working hours then you will do a quick hit on their lot and then come back later to clear the lot fully when the lot is empty. If off hours you will probably wait till the last minute before they open so you only plow it once if possible.

If it is a bigger event you may have to do this a few times.

As for pricing you can charge by the visit, by the final snow total or by the season for x number of events.

The key is ALWAYS to set the proper expectation with the customer so you both understand each other.

5. missbhaven

missbhaven Junior Member

So let say I have a 2" trigger and at 2" I did their lot @$100.00, then same snowfall, same day keep snowing went back snowed 2" more inch's did lot again @ 2" trigger $100.00. That same night in a 24 hour period snowed 2 more " then it's another $100.00 or if it just snowed another inch that same night I would clean in up for free in my third trigger? So the total I would bill them for that day is 3 triggers @ $100.00 = $300.00?
    Is that how triggers work? I am just use to doing jobs (2"-4")-(4"-6") (6"-8") and so on per push price bidding.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Not exactly. Re-read my last post.

To clear one thing up though ... if you are billing for a snow event total then you would charge once for your total depth - ie. regardless of 1 visit or 5 it would be one charge for let's say a 7" event.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can you say seasonal bid?

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Say you are due a 5" snow, and you have a 2" trigger, I personally would plow twice. Either 2 x @ 2.5, or once @2 and once at the end of the event.
    99 out of 100 customers will put up with having 3" on the lot to save $100. The extra inch is not worth the $100.