1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help please on a mvp

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tleffelman, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tleffelman

tleffelman Junior Member
    from il

okay i have a chance to buy a mvp 8 1/2 ft plow. I want to put it on a 08 chvy 2500hd. I am trying to figure out what all i am going to need and how much it will cost me to set this plow up for my truck. Went to the western website and did the quick match found most the parts but the one i am stumped on is the AQ&L assembly box what is that? Is that on the plow already or is that something ill need to buy for the truck? Any help would be much appreciated thanks

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

that is the plow side

3. tleffelman

tleffelman Junior Member
    from il

Thanks for your reply on that. Now what is the part number for the wiring harness i have the part number for the light harness but there has to be a harness for the plow itself correct.

4. 1olddogtwo

the plow should have the 2 plug system already

5. 1olddogtwo

Hold on, u need to find out is it is a reg MVP or a MVP plus. Some older ones are 3 plug if I remember right.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Typically I use a rule of thumb on newer trucks.............$1500 is usually the average list price for a brand new truckside. That's including controller, etc.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If its a few years old and you have three plugs at the grill then you will need three cables coming from the truck. The first cable is the switched battery power cable that comes right from the battery posts through the motor relay (pos side cable) and then through the grill. Large cable, two pins in the plug. You may already have that.

Second you need the controller cable. This is a smaller one with multiple small wire in it all wrapped up in a black woven sheathing. This cable starts at the controller in the cab, goes through the firewall to the small terminals on the motor relay and then out to the grill.

Finally there will be a third cable that comes from the isolation module and goes directly to the grill. This one is for your plow lights and comes with the headlight harness if you bought one. It's part of that kit.

You will also need an isolation module. This is the thing that switches the controller on and switches the headlights from truck to plow when it detects the plow is plugged in. There are three (new style) and four port (older system) isolation modules. If you have one it's pretty obvious to identify. One has three plugs and the other has four.... Both work fine but you need to specify which one you have to get the correct headlight kit.

Other than this all you need is your truck side mount, of course, and the joystick or handheld controller. As was said above it is typical to spend $1500 on parts if all you have is the plow itself.

If it is the newer style ultra-mount you will know by the fact that it has a large round black plastic shroud around the whole hydraulic unit & motor. In that case you only need the controller wire, very similar to above, the headlight kit and the unstitched battery cable. (no relay in this one, the relay is on board the plow)

But don't think you are done yet.... If it's a really old ultra then you may have the two plug non-multiplex system that used relays to switch the lights. It also had two plugs at the grill. One was switched motor power and the other combined all the lights and the hydraulic controls in a single plug. This system was fine in its day but I would convert it to the newer three cable isolation module system to make it simple, reliable and compatible with later units. But this would mean buying two new cable sets for the plow too. More money $$$

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, we need to know what generation of western mvp you are looking at, but yea prob at least $1500 in parts for the truck. if the plow is an old one with relay wiring, there is no relay wiring for an 08 chevy (or any other recent model trucks), so you'd have to go with isolation module wiring and convert the plow. something over $2000 if that's the case.