1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help please front axle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Jan 8, 2005.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i have a 79 k-10 and i was driving with my hubs locked in and my transfercase was in 2hi and all of a sudden my front axle just locked up on my and that sucked big time so i had to jump out and unlock my hubs. Can anyone tell me why my axle locked up on me? I have taken off my hubs before on both sides and i took them off when the hubs were not locked in and i heard before that you have to take them off in the lock postion.
  2. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

If your lucky it may just be a U joint in the front axle, or possibly something stuck in the joint in the open knuckle. See if you can spin the axle shaft by hand. If your not lucky, your gonna have to take the cover off the differential pumpkin and take a look. You may have lost a spider gear or shaft.
  3. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

I've seen a couple lock up, because of shrapnel in the housing, or a cross pin retainer backing out. Never seen one lock up, because of an axle joint. I'd bet it's something in the carrier, if you were in 2-hi, and both wheels locked up. An axle joint would only lock up one wheel.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We had a '75 3/4 ton here briefly (Dana 44) that had blown all the ring gear bolts apart. Completely destroyed the carrier and R&P set. The shrapnel could well be enough to lock up the axle judging by what I cleaned out of it.